Thursday, May 02, 2019

What Did I Just Listen To?

The classic lineup, circa 1984: Sean, Mario, Johnny, HL, Bill, Chris
I accept that most people don't see Huey Lewis and the News as a legendary band.

Some see them as a nice little '80s band.

Some actually dislike them.

Trust me, hearing them on the radio or streaming service is, at best, rare.

So most of the time, I'll take any attention to them as a good thing.

So then I saw this from Spin. It's a link to a cover of "The Power of Love," the 1985 song from the Back to the Future soundtrack.

Performed by Mark Kozelek and Sun Kil Moon, with guest singer and violinist Petra Haden, this take on the song is nothing like I've ever heard.

Gone is every touch of the '80s. Sean Hopper's keyboard style is nowhere to be found. Chris Hayes' jazz-infused guitar solo isn't around either.

The fire of the 1985 Academy Award-nominated track (I'm still bitter, so let's not discuss it) has been replaced by a quiet, subdued coffee-house track.

It's interesting. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Unfortunately, I can't find the track to embed it, so you'll have to go to Spin to hear it.

No question, the original can't be topped (in my opinion). Yet that being said, this is a whole new song.

Still ... I have to hear the original. Here it is, in glorious video form, as filmed at Uncle Charlie's, the place where they started north of San Francisco.

No comments: