Friday, May 24, 2019

On Being a "Homer"

John Sterling and Michael Kay (Photo: Getty Images)
I saw this earlier today.
Which, OK, fine. Gary Cohen -- the revered TV "voice" of the Mets -- did a fist pump and proved he's a homer. Honestly, it's not a big deal. Gary is a great broadcaster of course.

But...

John Sterling (and Michael Kay) get lambasted should they show any bias for the Yankees.

The utter hypocrisy of this is hysterical.

*****
To be clear, I detest homer broadcasters.

I honestly can't think of a single time I pumped my fist or high-fived someone in the booth for a big moment. Sure, there's the joy of pride in a particular call, but never in rooting for a team.

Chris Erway and I have punched fists over a good broadcast opening. I remember Ryan DeMaria once complimenting a particular call during a break. AJ Szymanowski has done the same.

But rooting? No.

Oh, there's no question that you want the team you're with to do well, but mostly because that means more work. More games to call!

I truly believe in being 50/50 when calling a game, but short of that, it's 55/45. I know Mike Hirn, for instance, has said 60/40 is acceptable, and I understand that.

But there's something to being professional, and I have preached that dislike of bias to every student of mine. Simply because you go to school there doesn't mean you have to act your dog has died when "your" team loses.

Save that for when you're off the air.

For whatever reason, once the microphone is live, I see laundry. I see two teams. Tonight it was Wilton/New Canaan for the FCIAC boys lacrosse championship. Wilton was probably the better "story" in that they pulled off a huge upset in beating national power Darien in the semis. They also haven't won the title in 20 years.

For me, there's the joy in the roar of the crowd. Yes, that's a "Vin Scully" thing for sure, but it's what I believe in. When calling the game-winning hit of the FCIAC baseball championship on Wednesday night, I did what I normally do. In the industry, we call it "laying out."

The crowd noise was wonderful.

But, again, no rooting interest.


Check this out on Chirbit

In case you're wondering, that's WWPT broadcasting duo talking in the background. As student broadcasters, they were obviously excited for their classmates.

I was once asked to not get excited when the "opposing team" scored. I felt it was a compliment, and that I was doing my job the right way.

And so that's my style.

Some like being a homer. Some don't.

I'll be at the Greenwich Town Party with Sean tomorrow. Listen live on WGCH beginning at 11 a.m.

No comments: