Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Linky Dinks

Time for our old friends "Off the Bench" and "Linky Dinks" to come visit.

I find myself further angered by events in the world.  I wrote this a few months back.  I still feel that way, and saw further evidence of it today.  No need to revisit it, I guess.

My friend and colleague Sean Kilkelly wishes Roger Daltrey a happy birthday today.

Many in my biz have been wringing their hands over the recent Daytona 500 when members of the media applauded for the winner, Trevor Bayne.  Dave Kindred, who seems to have grabbed the fedora of Dick Young and other angry old sports writers, gives us ten good reasons to not cheer in the press box.

For the record, I agree that writers (and broadcasters) shouldn't cheer.  Then again, there's this notion that writers and electronic guys aren't the best of friends.  I've seen that up close but largely I get along well with writers.

Adam Prince hit the road and took some pictures around North Carolina and Virginia.  His pictures are always terrific.  Of particular interest to me was the abandoned Jarratt Restaurant, where the staff would not warm the bottle of a particular baby in 1969.  Little Robbie's parents were not amused, from what they told me, and left before the meal came out.  Or at least that's how I remember hearing it.

My parents tended to be annoyed when their kids and loved ones are messed with.  I'm that way, too.

When Carrie and I were in San Diego, we drove to the gated entrance to Border Field State Park.  There is a monument on the border (of course) and it seems access is going to get even tougher to reach it.  Bummer (thanks, Roadside America).

That's all I've got for now.  Anything else would be rambling, angry, and perhaps illogical.  So it's off to the City to watch the Rangers figure out how to play with only one goalie for the rest of the year, thanks to Martin Biron's injury.

Congrats to my friends at Mount Saint Mary College.  The women won the Skyline Conference.  The men lost a tough playoff game.  Both programs are heading in the right direction.

I want to post a video to end things, but I'm uninspired.  AH!  Wait!  I saw a book on the Greatest Looney Tunes Cartoons ever at the Barnes and Noble in Union Square.  I don't remember if this was one of them, but it should have been.  In fact, 80% of them should have included Bugs Bunny.  So I leave you with Bugs...say...was that a...GREMLIN???

No comments: