Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Pat's Day!

There's something funny about this...
Some like Saint Patrick's Day.  Some don't.  Some purely don't think about it and ignore it.

I like it - probably more than I did when I was a kid.  I never really gave it a lot of thought.  My father passed away on this night in 1989, and it could be really easy to hate this day.  But for me, Saint Patrick's Day is about smiling and having fun.  It's about finding things to not associate with the sadness.  I have happier memories now with it.

It's not a question of if I'm really Irish (there's debate in my family about that).  It's about everyone being Irish.  But there's more.  As we're on this day in 2011, we're two weeks away from first pitch of baseball season.  It's fifty-six degrees and sunny.  It's the first REAL day of the NCAA tournament (you can't fool me with those play-in games).  There's so much promise in the air that it's tangible!

Besides, it gives me reason to think of The Commitments!


Or The Quiet Man (I wanted to embed the fight scene, but the meanies at YouTube won't let me).


Celebrate however you wish, but please do so responsibly.

No comments: