Monday, February 18, 2008

Four Score and Several "Off the Benches" Ago


Warning! I'm in one of "those moods." Which makes for entertaining reading...

Question number one of the day is, "Why am I working today?" No offense to the bosses, but Stamford is like a ghost town. That is, until the mall opens.

That's where Sandi and Sean are heading today. I'd rather stroll the Palisades Center than sit at my desk. But then, I couldn't be typing this, could I?

I think we need, as a country, to grab control of our National Holidays again. Twas once a time when both Lincoln's Birthday AND Washington's Birthday were celebrated, but in our continuing effort to run our workforce into early graves, we combined them into President's Day. Then I noticed more companies stopped taking President's Day altogether, and forget about Veterans Day or Columbus Day.

I always felt President's Day was a good holiday, because it served as a necessary break between New Year's Day and Memorial Day. I've seen some companies go straight through from one to the other with no break - not even Good Friday.

Maybe adding floating holidays are the answer, but I don't know. I just think it would be nice to say "these are your holidays" and be done with it.

And give people a break.

Oh, while I'm ranting, there needs to be a rule about not contacting the office while on vacation. You've gone away - do NOT call in. We don't want to know anything about you until you get back. In short, we don't care. The office will still be standing; the business will still be running. Do the right thing and spend your time off with your loved ones, friends, or just with yourself.

If you want to check your messages - that's your problem. I can understand that - especially if you're trying to figure out what awaits you upon your return.

Sheesh.

Lastly, what's the deal with the same people who call the same place every day? People - it's called "e mail." I hate to call in all the time because I don't want to bother those who answer the phones to begin with.

Folks - please - I'm begging you - get...a...life.

I'm so freaking sick of the steroids thing already. After Andy Pettitte speaks to the media today, I want it OVER. Time to play ball.

I know. I'm dreaming.

While it stinks to not have TV these days (yep, another economic casualty), it does allow me to catch up with my DVD's (so long as we still have electricity - I'm kidding - kind of). I'm in the process of watching every chapter of The Beatles' Anthology. I also recently watched "A Hard Day's Night" with Sean, and you know what I discovered?

That band was pretty good.

Update on the latest rock radio station in New York - 101.9 RXP is getting a so-so rating from me. They still insist on playing Nickleback (Why, God, Why?), and are already burning out some songs (I hadn't heard "Bodhisattva" by Steely Dan in a while, then heard it too much). Be brave! Let it breathe. Play some other deep stuff, but don't play it again an hour later! And ask youself this question:

Do rock fans want to hear Nickleback? If so, then I better be hearing some Huey-freaking-Lewis and get him out of Adult Contemporary hell! They get played on rock stations in other parts of the good ol' U-S-of-A, so let's hear 'em in NYC. It will show some depth, and make Nickleback, and some of the other "jack" being played a touch more palatable.

So right now, RXP and The Peak can wage a nifty little war. Let Q-104.3 jump on board and maybe we'll find some quality.

And say farewell to K-Rock, unless they decide to get it right. Please.

Whilst I'm on that rant, what do you think is the most overplayed song ever? "Stairway to Heaven?" "Light My Fire?" "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For?" Anything by Aerosmith?

For me, at least right now, the winner is a little ditty 'bout "Jack and Diane."

As usual, I won't hold my breath waiting to hear from you on the comments side!

I found another blog worth keeping an eye on: The Fleer Sticker Project. If you grew up in the 60's/70's/80's and loved things like babseball cards, but more diverse things like "Wacky Packages" and other stuff, you'll like this blog, and the places it can lead you.

Nostalgia, people!

Right now, the winter broadcasting season has just one game left on the schedule - Wednesday night, live from Trumbull High School, as the Greenwich Cardinals finish the regular season against the Eagles. Nick Angotto slides into the lead analyst seat for the 6:50 pregame/7:00 tip off.

The playoffs begin after that. Will WGCH cover any of the games? Stay tuned...because your guess is as good as mine.

Sean (still known as "The Son") signed up to play baseball on Saturday. He moves into the Soft Toss division of the Carmel Sports Association. Miller Huggins will once again be one of his coaches. OK, I'm not really Miller Huggins (bonus points if you know who "Hug" is), but I can pretend, no?

SHAMELESS PROMOTION ALERT!!! The CSA asks us to sell raffle tickets. They're one dollar each, and six for five bucks. The winner gets a color TV. No, I'm not kidding.

1 comment:

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

Rob,

I have two songs that I have heard on the radio way too many time both from different genres.

Proud Mary by Credence Clearwater Revival

Pon De Replay by Rihanna

Not bad songs, but have both been a little overcooked.

-SGK