Sunday, February 10, 2008


The year was 2002 - August 3rd, to be exact. WGCH was under their previous ownership, and the busy sports department was in the midst of a crazy year that saw us broadcasting so many things. Among the highlights:

- All Greenwich hockey, basketball, and baseball games.
- Trinity Catholic's state championship loss to Northwest Catholic in basketball.
- Greenwich football.
- Rye-Harrison football, plus Harrison's run through the state playoffs, and eventual state championship.
- The GYFL Championships (from the back of a flatbed truck).
- Wall-to-wall coverage of the Buick Classic golf tournament, which was won by Chris Smith, who knew us and even mentioned us during his press conference on The Golf Channel.
- Coverage of the national Babe Ruth World Series from Stamford, including reports in the opening rounds and play-by-play of the quarters, semis, and championship.
- No less than THREE Sports talk shows: "Tee Time" (golf, obviously), "The Press Box" (general sports talk), and "Spotlight on Sports with Rob Adams" (self-explanatory).

In short, we called a total of approximately 110 games. Not bad for a little ol' community radio station. Compare that to 2007, when we did 21. Uh-huh.

Anyway, I bring this all up simply because while going through my DVD's, I stumbled across this video from our coverage of...drumroll, please!...Bridgeport Bluefish baseball! And that brings me back to August 3rd. Through a little fancy-talk, we worked our way into a special day at the Ballpark at Harbor Yard, in which regular folks got to take batting practice, shag fly balls, and basically live the experience of playing ball. No, we didn't play a game but for a couple of hours, we felt like we did.

Mark, Harold, Ian and I played catch in the outfield and took our hacks in the cage against John Dorman, who was an infielder for the 'Fish at the time. Mark and Harold definitely showed their athletic ability, and I'm happy to say that I didn't suck (despite the swing in the above photo). After we cleaned ourselves up, we headed up to the booth to call the first game of a doubleheader between the Bluefish and the Nashua Pride.

Following the completion of game one came our big moment - throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. As you watch the video, listen carefully, as I carried a cordless microphone with me to describe the action for the listeners on WGCH.

With our families in the house (including baby Sean), we lived arguably our biggest baseball moment.

Ah, good times. Such memories.

1 comment:

Harold said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Rob! I still have the DVD on my desk. That was a great day! We all had a lot of fun. It's something that I will always look fondly back on.