Friday, August 30, 2024

The Meltdown Continues

 

Scream into the void

It's a little past 10:30 p.m. and I need a topic.

As always there are things to talk about but is there the energy to dig deep on the topic?

It's a take-it-easy night after a day of bouncing around to produce podcasts and radio shows.

But I suppose I do have something in my mind. But, again, it's back to being vague to protect "the innocent" or in this case, "the quite guilty."

Anyway.

Remember this post, in which I talked about not burning a bridge?

I would suggest the bridge is long gone.

The person I alluded to has, in his mind, been wronged by the business in which he works.

Of course, there are always multiple sides to a story and I barely know any of them, so i won't speak as if I have any solid information to go by.

I can only speculate.

All I know is that the aggrieved has made it clear that he was done dirty. Perhaps he was. But, more to the point, perhaps he wasn't.

The thing is, in broadcasting, this happens on a daily basis. Consider the good people of WCBS Newsradio 880. They were done dirty.

And you don't think I've been wronged? I mean, just read this space long enough and you'll see I've told some (sanitized version) of stories.

To me, I have to go off the edge to burn a bridge. You just never know and it's just not worth it.

Beyond that, you have to be so incredibly careful when leveling charges of ageism or any ism for that matter. At least that's my feeling. Gripe among friends, sure, but be careful how far you take it.

Keep in mind you talk about damage to your reputation. Well, I'm here to tell you about the damage you're doing right now.

What I'm driving at is to so blatantly air that on Facebook isn't the wisest move in the world.

The thing is we can come up with all of the compliments known. Great. I'm blessed to have heard kind things. One person recently told me -- a few times -- that I belong on the Yankees broadcasts now.

I've plucked a few in recent times, in part to have fun with that topic when, in truth, they make me so uncomfortable.

But no matter what any listener might say -- as wonderful as that is -- it's the hiring people who get the final say. From there, it's a dog-eat-dog world.

And we're all wearing milk bone underwear (one of the great jokes in TV history).

All of the compliments in the world won't protect me. Beyond that, are they truly a glimpse into reality? If kind words drove the bus, I'd say I should be a network's top broadcaster. Or with the Yankees.

It's a dirtier world than that, based on who you know, how much you make, what influence you bring and have, social media, advertisers, appearance, and other factors.

It's not fair. Of course, it's not. Talent, hard work, and other strong points aren't as strong as you think.

One of the comments in the almost constant line of posts bemoaning the circumstances asks if the listeners' opinions matter. Well, sure, but didn't I just highlight that in the thoughts above? I mean, truthfully, how many broadcasters have been hired and/or retained based on the viewer that "sez" "love him?"

I recall Ernie Harwell being foolishly fired by Detroit Tigers team president Bo Schembechler at the end of the 1991 season. The outrage was unprecedented and it took a change of ownership for Harwell to be returned to the booth in Detroit.

Ernie Harwell, for the record, is within the top five baseball voices ever.

Yes. Ever.

Mssrs. Scully, Allen, and Barber occupy numbers 1-3 and I'd suggest Ernie is right there at number four.

The situation I'm writing about is in no way akin to that of Ernie Harwell. 

My suspicion is something else happened but I'm not sure what.

Sometimes, no matter how good you are, management just doesn't like your style or your scent or your voice or the color pens you use or your use of language. It really can be anything.

Like or not, sometimes it's just best to walk away with your head held high, recognizing you did your best work. I, frankly, write from experience there.

Oh, grumble grumble away, but putting it in writing on social media -- even if deleting -- can be a dangerous route to take.

People have memories, as well as the ability to take screenshots.

Don't take it that public. Don't pursue lawsuits. Don't badmouth those in charge. 

Step away, no matter how painful. Take the high road, as you just don't know where that road will lead you.

And be done with "the incredulity of it all."

No comments: