Sunday, August 04, 2024

Host With a Certain Level of Most

 

On the field in the 94 jersey
(Photo: Mike "Clicks" Newell)

WARWICK, RI -- Sometimes, crazy plans turn out just fine.

Yes, first of all, I made it to Rhode Island, after Mother Nature (remember, it's not nice to fool her) did her best to thwart all efforts.

Let's return to yesterday, shall we? 

I was packed, and ready, said farewell to Rascal (The Cat), and hit the road to work with Rascal (The Mascot). I stopped and picked up water and seltzer for the hotel room (and, let's face it, I'll drink it at home). I grabbed lunch and then went to Heritage Financial Park.

In the end, was I nervous for my first time as the on-field host? Sure, but it wasn't paralyzing. I probably looked more anxious than I actually was. I'm certain I looked clueless, especially to the group of interns on the Fun Team that I'd be around all night.

Jamie Goerke, Manager, Game Day Promotions & Programming, was the rock star for me. She was supportive and patient with me all night, and I couldn't have asked for more. 

But, as I said, Mother Nature did some damage to the evening, bringing us a delay that resulted in the first pitch being thrown two hours later than scheduled.

So, I hung out. I walked to the PA booth. I walked down and talked to Lori. I stepped onto the field a few times, including making a brief opening statement that, for some reason, brought applause.

I chatted with fans. 

I walked. Walked. And Walked.

Call it a form of pacing.

I was mixed about playing as the rain fell. If we didn't, I'd lose that first try at hosting but could head to Rhode Island at a reasonable hour.

And Mike Buswell was asking for my ETA (Narrator: it would be late).

But, alas, the decision was made to play. I asked if I should make an announcement, headed to the field, and ... play-by-play announcer (and fill-in on PA) Joe Vasile did the honors. OK. There's that.

I grumbled about communication and carried on.

Oh, and keep in mind that Sean (aka "Junior") wasn't there.

Screenshot from the game broadcast

Eventually, we got down to the real business of the night. I just had to be me. I was passionate and energetic and excited. At times, I worked in some sarcasm.

I made sure to shout out Joe and Clicks and Anthony and Rass.

I chatted with contestants for the games.

I talked with fans.

What can I do better? I screwed up one of the intros, skipping a name on the lineup card (Lori said I made up for it well). I was too slow on a few games and I'll get better timing down.

I'll also learn how to shoot a T-shirt gun eventually.

But, more than anything, I'll continue to relax and let more of the sarcasm come out.

Energy in a crowd dissipates on a night of weather delays. People leave and things thin out. But those who stay are the troopers and are fantastic. Those are the fans I played to. I've learned from years of conference and event hosting to find friendly faces in the crowd and work with them.

When it was over, I walked back out to the field and said a final goodnight. As always, I shouted out the team I worked with, especially the crew in the PA booth.

First, I made sure the crowd cheered the Renegades for their win and, always promoted, reminded fans to come back for Sunday's game.

"For, Anthony, Clicks, Joe, and Rass, I'm Rob Adams. Get home safe everyone, and good night!"

With that, there was applause. Cheers. People calling my name.

And, from what I heard, there might be a second chance to do this again.

I got to see things from a different angle. I was able to watch the faces of the fans, the throwing of the T-shirts, the interaction with the mascots, and occasionally, the game itself. I was even able to break into some goofy play-by-play of the on-field games, like Tic-Tac-Toe.

(Photo: Clicks)

As opposed to what I usually do, this is pure entertainment, and more than anything, it's about making people smile and be happy they're there.

I'd like to think I did that. It's a level of customer service, such as assuaging concerns over the rain.

I walked with Lori to her car after the game, said goodnight, and began the trip to Rhode Island. More than anything, I tried to not think about it too much. The only thing that occurred to me was that I was hungry.

I just drove, focusing on the road and the still-falling rain.

And I found an open McDonald's in Middletown, CT that I ran into near 11:30.

From there, the race was on. All along, Waze told me I'd get to the hotel at 12:45 a.m.

Yup. I pulled off I-95, into the parking lot of this Holiday In Express, and joined Mike and company.

Beverages were waiting. I didn't even go to my room until nearly 2 a.m.

With that, I've shifted right back into broadcaster mode. People from Braintree, MA -- Trumbull's opponent today -- are excited that I'm here.

Oh, my body is sore and I know I could use some sleep. And for the last 28 weeks, I've created new episodes of "Meet the Beatles." Today, for the first time, I let a show rerun. It's summer, people are away, and I gave myself a break. A new episode will air next week. I already know the topic.

But for today, it's time to play ball and put the headset back on. I'm told other teams are interested in hearing me.

Bring it on.

No comments: