Thursday, August 01, 2024

Car Work and Broadcast Schedule

 

Today's waiting room did not look like this

Back in June, I took my car to the nearby emissions testing location.

It failed. A code -- one that has hovered over the car for years -- finally bit me.

It was never a straightforward problem though. I once tried to have it fixed, since there was a report of a small fuel leak. The recommendation? A new gas cap.

It was laughable then and now. 

But with the test failure, it had to be done. In fact, it needs to be done by mid-August so that I can retake the test and hopefully pass it.

Thus, it was time to visit a mechanic.

I do not trust anyone when it comes to autowork.

OK, I trust my cousin Kris, but that's about it. He doesn't steer me wrong (I crack myself up).

But I knew I had to try and I booked an appointment with a Nissan dealer in Port Chester.

I went over this morning, arriving before my scheduled 8:15 appointment.

I pulled in to find a temporary shelter serving as the waiting room for the service department. The good news is that the air conditioning worked.

The bad news was the air conditioning worked, it was actually cold,  and I sat there for nearly six hours.

But, in the end, they think it is fixed.

It also cost more to have them run a test on the code than it was to resolve it.

Yet, a little over $200 later, I drove away. To be honest, I'm still not sure what they did.

If I haven't mentioned it, going to have car work is an angst-filled experience for me. It's like going to the doctor. I had to sit in that waiting room and convince myself that I could absorb a bill for "X" number of dollars and that it was going to be OK.

It's a horrible feeling.

Keep in mind that my ability to go to Rhode Island for the Little League regional hinges on this. I couldn't go if it was too expensive as I couldn't justify the cost of food and gas and incidentals. As it is, thanks to my teaching at CSB, I have to make the drive to and from Greenwich twice.

But, with this, I think we can safely say that we'll be on the call of Trumbull's games except for one when I have to teach.

So, here's the broadcast schedule:

Sunday 8/4 - 2:30pm vs MA

Monday 8/5 - 5pm vs RI (Not on Robcasting)

Wednesday 8/7 - 11am vs VT

Thursday 8/8 - 5pm vs NH 

Friday 8/9 - 5pm -- Mid-Atlantic Championship

                   7:30pm -- New England Championship 

Saturday 8/10 - 10am -- East Region Championship

Please note all of Trumbull's games will be carried via their Gamechanger. If I'm there, it will be on Robcasting also.

To pull this off, I'll be driving from Greenwich to Wappingers Falls Saturday night for my on-field hosting debut between the Renegades and BlueClaws. I'll then drive from Wappingers to Rhode Island for Saturday night and be up and smiling in time for the Sunday game at 2:30. I'll remain in RI that night before coming down to Stratford early Monday morning to teach.

Oh, lucky students, getting to deal with Grumpy Rob. 

I'll go home that night so I can visit with our friend The Cat and sleep in my own bed before getting up again Tuesday morning to go back and teach in Stratford.

From there, I'll return to Rhode Island.

Sound nuts? It is.

Will I have fun? I'm sure I will.

But, yeah, I wish this could all be a bit easier if you know what I mean.

*****

I'm back home from tonight's Renegades game. We were on the YES Network tonight and I have no idea if you could actually hear me.

Then again, I don't think I had anyone who could tell me if they heard me. 

So, I guess it doesn't matter, as it's not about me.

But worrying about this kept me from worrying about being the on-field host on Saturday night.

And I'll be nervous.

Oh, you bet I will be.

No comments: