Sunday, August 11, 2024

I'm Wounded

 


Oh. Ouch. 

That was a comment I received on X (Twitter) a short while ago.

So this happened because I'm not bowing at the altar of St. Noah Eagle, the new patron saint of play-by-play announcers.

Is he talented? Sure.

Did he get his job due to a famous father? Absolutely, but he's hardly the first. You have to earn the gig beyond that. But it's absolutely a huge advantage. It's possible my father could have helped me become a Teamster if I wanted.

But is he also being talked up as if he's the greatest thing since the invention of the microphone? Without a doubt.

And he's the darling of the president and vice president of the Rob Adams Haters Club: Dr. Toxic and Town Hall. So I called them out without calling them out.

You know, not by name. Maybe I should, except Town Hall gets upset when I do that.

I also said that St. Noah tries too hard with little cutesy one-liners like "Cloudy, with a chance of (Steph) Curry."

Cringe.

So I get there is talent but it's just not my thing. I think it's too much of an attempt to be in the Gus Johnson Cool Kids Department.

And, yes, I'm the broadcaster for Trumbull Baseball.

And Greenwich.

And Brunswick.

And others.

And not just baseball, but football, basketball, ice hockey, and on and on and on.

I'm not sure it's the put-down that you think it is as I'm fairly proud of what I've done.

But, hey, "E" for effort. I'll buy you an ice cream. Plus you got a post out of it. Thus, here's the attention you were seeking.

However, I'm also a historian and student of the business who is mighty entitled to offer an opinion and critique.

I don't hate Noah Eagle. Heck, I might truly come to have high regard for him if I don't have to hear about him as much as I hear about Bon Jovi, Journey, or some other nauseatingly overrated outfit.

Oh, go ahead and hate away. I'm content to call out nonsense and always will be. Town Hall earns my continued wrath for being an enormously phony sports fan who only bloviates about his team when they're playing well. Plus he's generally wrong about everything. Most heinous to me recently was his dumping on Dave Dravecky, a baseball pitcher who had cancer as well as the removal of the deltoid muscle in his pitching arm.

He returned to the mound to pitch but eventually broke his arm on the mound in a ghoulishly awful moment. Dravecky had the arm amputated and became a motivational speaker.

But Town Hall's takeaway is that the story is so inspiring, but ruined by the fact that Dravecky was distributing literature for the John Birch Society.

In 1984.

People change, right?

Well, except for Town Hall, I suppose. His hangup here is that Dravecky probably has ring-wing values. I mean, God forbid!

Town Hall, who posts about only liberal/Democratic concerns but his boss is a Republican power. Sure. Makes sense. 

He'll never learn.

As for Dr. Toxic? 

Well. Let's just not. It's too easy.


But the two of them teaming up?

It's like Wonder Twins! Activate!

It's too comical.

That's where my post came from about St. Noah.

But, hey, I'm the crappy announcer.

OK, cool.

I won't bother to explain my life and story to you.

And I called Trumbull pretty well, with the help of Bob Gerbert, so thanks a lot.

But I'm sure your life is perfect.

*****

Incidentally, Robin Williams took his own life on this day ten years ago.

He battled depression and anxiety as well as diffuse Lewy body dementia.

He was a brilliant, wonderful actor and man. He produced myriad emotions with his iconic performances.

Maybe we could pause for a moment and think of Robin Williams when we want to be so mean?

We are horribly divided.

Let's do better.

No comments: