Saturday, August 24, 2024

Old Timers' Day

The Mick, Yogi, Whitey, the Yankee Clipper, and Casey

Oh, I know.

"Twenty-seven rings!"

Well, yeah.

You're damn right.

It's Old Timers' Day at Yankee Stadium today.

I'd love to be there but duty calls elsewhere and I just found out I'll be on the field tonight for Blue Rocks/Renegades.

But I love the nostalgia of Old Timers' Day.

I remember it being a highlight when I was little. That's where I began to learn about DiMaggio, Mantle, Ford, Yogi, and so on. Mrs. Babe Ruth and Mrs. Lou Gehrig were also there. It was baseball royalty.

That's probably where five-year-old me decided I wanted to be number five. 

Then I found out DiMaggio -- who I revered -- would have that number forever.

Eventually, I made my way to my first Old Timers' Day. It was 1983 and my guy had just hung up his uniform and grabbed a microphone. Yet, on that glorious day in The Bronx, Bobby Murcer patrolled center field once again.

My picture of Bobby Murcer in center, 1983

 

I've been many times over the years. I got to see all of the greats. One year, Willie Mays was on hand and how could anyone not love that?

The game was always fun. It used to be a short exhibition game and sometimes, Mantle would hit a home run. Maybe DiMaggio, though he had stopped playing by the time I was a kid. Maybe it would be Joe Pepitone or Willie Randolph or Hector Lopez or some other name of the past.

There were always the introductions that produced all of those great memories. Scooter, Goose, Guidry, Bucky, Nettles, and so many others.

Admittedly, it is a very long day if you go and I've had kids go who quickly lost interest, but I sit there and love every minute of it.

The eras, of course, have changed for the annual celebration. Today, they'll celebrate 15 years since that last title, in 2009, and the those on-hand will tell stories and bring smiles. I've already seen Derek Jeter (you know, "The Overrated Shortstop"), CC Sabathia, and Mariano Rivera. 

Nick Swisher is there and who has more fun than he does?

Alex Rodriguez is making his first OTD appearance and, look, he's a controversial figure. I'll always struggle with how to talk about him but the guy was such a great player. He's always, like it or not, a pariah.

Many others will be introduced, though Brett Gardner has elected to stay away. Old Timers' Day was always for the fans, and Gardy was a fan favorite, so one hopes that he will reconsider.

Old Timers' Day wasn't just about the players but it was the personalities also. Mel Allen, the revered and true "Voice of the Yankees" would be present as a host and play-by-play announcer for the exhibition game.

When I was a kid, Frank Messer -- the first play-by-play voice I took note of -- hosted the ceremony. Partners Phil Rizzuto and Bill White were former players and so Messer was the right person to preside over the day.

Since then, John Sterling and Michael Kay have served as co-MCs. Kay is hosting on his own today.

I alluded to Claire Ruth and Eleanor Gehrig -- representing the Yankees wives. Today, those who touch our hearts include Diana Munson (Thurman), Jill Martin (Billy), and of course, Kay Murcer (Bobby).

It's a day for nostalgia, and nobody does it like baseball.

Nobody has the history the Yankees do.

Hate them for living in the past. Hate me if you want.

But I eat all of this up. 

It's a reminder of what we've seen. 

What has been.

And what can be again.

Today


No comments: