Friday, August 23, 2024

Golden Slumbers...Eventually


Another no-hitter on the scoreboard

This hasn't been the best week ever.

I mean, to the public, I've been me.

Work. Baseball. Radio. Etc.

But, in truth, I had a nearly sleepless night earlier in the week as I worried about some stuff.

I've paid for it since Monday. I worked a baseball game Tuesday and was a zombie. I mean, I stayed awake and did the job but I know I felt the exhaustion.

Yet, I still didn't sleep well that night.

Things improved slightly on Wednesday night.

But, yesterday, without anyone knowing, I got a little boost from a friend who was texting me to talk baseball.

In the middle of talking about Aaron Judge and other "diamond notes," we turned to other topics.

Remember I once said to not tell me things are going to get better without some tangible evidence? 

Without saying it, he offered how to back it up.

This does not mean things are cleared up. It means I'm not worrying quite as much.

And it allowed me some sleep last night.

Hope, as I've said, is dangerous, but it's sometimes all one can hang onto. 

And there are points where things snowball, especially late at night as the gremlins are strolling around in the dark.

Monday night, the gremlins worked overtime. I stared at the ceiling when I wasn't staring at the insides of my eyelids.

I looked at my phone.

I strolled through the empty apartment.

The funny thing is I don't turn the TV on in these circumstances. That used to be something I'd do but I don't anymore. I tend to lean on something soothing to listen to if anything.

I should probably read more, and I still have Paul McCartney's book that I need to finish. It helps me get ideas for "Meet the Beatles."

Eventually, I tried the couch. As a reminder, it's actually a loveseat courtesy of my cousin Kourtney.

So, it's a two-seater.

And I'm six feet tall but I make it work. I curl up or let my legs hang. The thing is, it's all mental because there's no way it's more comfortable than my bed.

But I got a few minutes there, just as I got a few in bed.

Heck, I can't even blame The Cat for this night, as he stayed with me until his usual hijinks at 5 a.m.

Then he gets closed out of the bedroom.

So, no, things aren't where I want them to be but I feel a little better. I'm just hoping that feeling will improve.

And more sleep tonight would be nice.

I have two Renegades games this weekend after working a doubleheader yesterday. The Gades threw their fourth no-hitter (a seven-inning game, just as they did in 2021) so that gave us a little extra excitement. The early game was a bit of a grind. 

But the Gades provided a different kind of thrill welcoming a group of baseball players from Bhutan earlier in the week, and I was honored to be a part of that as the PA announcer. The Bhutan Baseball and Softball Association group went to Yankee Stadium on Wednesday and that was great to see also.

So it's been a week.

And I have to believe it's getting better.

A little better all the time.

No comments: