Thursday, August 15, 2024

The Elation of Emissions

 

(Photo: CTEmissions.com)

OK, let's get to the bottom line. 

The drama of the car is over (for now).

I took it to the Nissan dealer service area just across the state line on Monday morning.

It meant putting my faith in what they're doing at a huge financial cost to me. It also meant this had to be the answer to why I've had a check engine light on intermittently for years.

I told them they could have the car all day when I dropped it off just after 8 a.m. Thanks to Sean, I had a ride both to and from the service department.

By the mid-afternoon, the work was done, my credit card was swiped, and we were back home.

"Drive it," they said, telling me that I needed to reset the drive cycle because there was still an emissions test that I needed to pass.

But, for the first time in a long time, there was no check engine light. There was no light to tell me that the gas cap was loose.

Frankly, I had become immune to it. However, Connecticut's testing had an issue with it.

So, on Tuesday, feeling hopeful, I went across town to the inspection station/car wash/gas station/convenience store/oil change facility.

Seriously, that's all in one place.

The inspector took my paperwork, and didn't charge me for the test since I satisfied the requirements for a free retest and...quickly told me the drive cycle wasn't complete. As a result, the car didn't pass or fail. It was aborted.

"Keep driving," I was told.

So I drove the car to Heritage Financial Park on Tuesday night, hoping that would be enough.

I also took the car out for breakfast yesterday morning to add to the reset of the drive cycle.

Again hopeful but more nervous, I took off for the inspection station this morning.

It couldn't fail. I also didn't have much time as it needed to pass by Saturday.

As there are no reservations, you pull in and sit on a line. Twice, I've sat and waited for roughly an hour. I assumed the same this morning.

But it wasn't that bad.

I reached the bay, stepped out of the car, and went into the waiting room.

Honestly, the drama of the story ends here. The inspector -- the same one who dealt with me in June as well as on Tuesday -- handed me a sheet with "PASS" on it.

It was over.

Huzzah.

Look, I was concerned about how I'd react had it failed.

My likely first stop would have been the service department of Nissan, with the hope that I would remain calm in explaining the issue.

But the obvious worry would be about finding out what was wrong and, at that point, Connecticut isn't exactly sympathetic.

Happily, none of those concerns are necessary.

I have until 2026 before I have to deal with this test again.

*****


Did the Mets really have the "Hawk Tuah" girl throw out a ceremonial first pitch today? 

From the team that once had the Baja Men perform "Who Let the Dogs Out" before a World Series game comes this cultural touchstone moment!

Then they're fanbase wonders why #LOLMets is a thing.

No comments: