Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Don't Let it Destroy You

 

Burning a bridge isn't the answer (Google Image)

I'm watching a possible nervous breakdown happen in real-time.

To be clear, it's serious but not that serious that I need to call any authorities. It's more of a metaphysical thing.

I've watched comments appear on "the socials" and then get deleted.

If I gathered correctly, a broadcast outlet refused the demands of an announcer and, ultimately, decided to move on without the broadcaster in question.

The person wanted to work "SOLO" (his caps, not mine) but the channel was resistant for whatever reason.

Look, I happen to like working alone if I don't know a potential partner. I don't love to have a partner get "thrown" into a booth with me. There's no chance to create chemistry. But I've also done it many times, even with people I know.

For instance, Bob Gerbert volunteered to do Little League games with me. Quite often, Something told me to take a shot in that situation.

It worked. Quite well.

I'd say it was exceptional. There's always a question of learning cadence and when to let a game breathe but those moments can be figured out. Further to the point, Bobby's son, Jack, had a huge hit to tie last Friday's game, and Bob knew to let the call happen and let the crowd noise take over. 

There was no secret that he was rooting for his son and for Trumbull, and even high-fived people around us, but that never came across on the air. He was fair and honest at all times.

That's stuff that can be taught if necessary but I never needed to say a word.

But, yes, I'm resistant to working with just "anyone."

However, to make enough of a "stink" to get fired? No, I'd rather not do that.

Regardless of whatever "esoteric" aspect of announcing those in charge lack. Because, let's face it, the bosses get the last say.

I've dealt with too many "broadcasting executives" who thought they knew it all. One dude that I worked for earned the nickname of "Marconi" because he thought he had invented radio.

(He very much did not and tended to damage every outlet he worked at.)

But going public with all of these gripes can be a very dangerous avenue, and I say that as a writer/broadcaster. I've certainly shared quite a bit of "inside knowledge" but I've long tried to never burn a bridge.

I'm not sure our friend can say the same.

The last thing he posted included a picture of him when he was much younger, with the caption making a crack about how he was too young to be beaten down by the business.

Oof.

That has also been deleted.

Look, I get the airing of grievances. I've done it. 

But it generally doesn't go well.

I've lived it all. I've been "done dirty" many times.

Seriously, there are too many examples.

I've got the scars. I've got the stories.

And, yet, here I am.

I've had many others try to knock me out. Other sports talk show hosts have shown up with offers of money and...well...OK. They were able to do a few shows, the money dried up, and poof. They were never heard from again.

I've watched as so many young broadcasters try to take over.

And yet? Here I am.

Oh, they tried to outdo me even in youth sports. But that was me in Rhode Island last week.

I've had people literally say they wanted my job. Ultimately, they got their wish because I could see the writing on the wall. I stepped back and I watched.

For the record, they're no longer in the business.

So, before the nervous breakdown kicks in, remember to keep grinding. If all else fails, move on with your head held high.

And if that fails, post all the compliments you've received. Then repeat.

I'm sure that will work.

But, while we make some light of all of this to keep things in perspective, it's also work mentioning that I take what I'm watching seriously and hope they get whatever help is needed.

No comments: