Thursday, August 22, 2024

My New Partner

 

Calling hockey in Poughkeepsie in April

I announced last night on social media that Dan Murphy has accepted the offer to become my partner in the WGCH radio booth for Greenwich football.

If you've been paying attention that might come as no shock. Dan and I called a game together last year -- Darien/Greenwich -- and he joined me for a few Hudson Valley Vipers hockey games also.

This began because Dan asked me to come on a podcast a few years back. I was happy to do it. We finished some three hours later, stunned at the easy chemistry we had. We repeated that a few more times, normally to preview football and baseball season. 

Then, while in Buffalo for the road meet that Dan organized, we were talking at a Buffalo Bisons baseball game that night. He said he wanted to try calling baseball with me. With no equipment -- including microphones -- nearby, we sat together and did an inning. Friends tried to rattle us as we stayed true to calling a serious game.

It sparked the idea for him to fill in on a game. When Chris Erway was away, I offered Dan the Darien game.

No small affair, to be clear. 

He did a great job and, as I said, we eventually added some hockey during the winter.

Once Chris told me he was moving to North Carolina, I knew it was time for a new partner. 

Could I do the games alone? Sure. That's how I do things at Brunswick most of the time. In fact, I do a lot of games on my own. I've also called Greenwich Football solo a few times.

But WGCH gave me the approval to bring in a partner. Dan said he could make the games and I decided to offer him the gig.

If Dan can't -- or if I can't -- there are others I can reach out to. Chris Kaelin -- yes, trusty Kato (Tako) -- is always on speed dial. A friend of mine from the Renegades, Anthony Conover, has also said he'd love to jump on a game. I could see Dan, Anthony, and I working a game together but we'll work out those details.

And there is almost certainly going to be a day where I will have to run between Brunswick and Greenwich. I'll need help on those days. Plus you never know when and where business and travel will pull me away.

The bottom line is, that having someone I can trust is important. Dan will learn the ropes of the equipment and the nuances of the broadcasts. I think, overall, he already has the announcing down. The chemistry is so important.

Now, look, we all know he won't be Chris and that's good. I don't want that. He needs to be Dan, and we discussed that last night. 

Honestly, how many different partners have I worked with over the years? How many are still good friends to this day? The chemistry with every one of those people came through.

I can't say enough good things about Chris and the years we spent together. We'll remain close friends and if the road twists to a chance for us to call games together again, we'll cross that bridge.

But it's Dan's turn now.

It's always been about our team at WGCH Sports and the community we cover. That won't change. It was there before I started and it became my priority when I became sports director. The broadcasts will always sound professional. 

With Dan, we're going to have fun. It's sports and it's broadcasting. That's what it should be.

Dan will do his homework and I'll be there to fill in the gaps. Greenwich will welcome him with open arms.

Once upon a time, a New Yorker came to WGCH and began calling Greenwich sports. The football gig was considered to be the plum assignment. The town got to know him and accepted him as one of their own.

A second New Yorker will be in the booth with him, forming a new lead team on WGCH.

The same quality you've come to expect will be on the air live from West Haven on that Friday night.

Make sure to say hello to the new broadcast team.

No comments: