Tuesday, August 06, 2024

And Right Back to RI


 

"Wait. You interrupted your trip to Rhode Island to teach?"

It was as if he was surprised. If this person truly knew me, it wouldn't be a shock.

"Yeah. I mean, I made the commitment, and I know how much we switch things around. I didn't want to do that again so I dealt with it."

Getting on the same page with me when it comes to my schedule is quite a trick. There's baseball, depositions, the Renegades, "Doubleheader," and whatever else. I wish it wasn't like that (as in having a home base, aka #HireRob) but it comes down to weighing all of the options and doing right by my commitments.

I'd already changed my dates with CSB so I honored the commitment and held classes yesterday and today. As I wrote last night, it gave me the chance to run home, see The Cat, etc.

So, yes, I have made it back to the hotel where I am happy to see my key still works.

But, wow, the temperature has dropped as the weather gets uglier. It's in the low 70s and I actually have a sweatshirt ready if necessary.

I want to like the drive from Stratford to here but it's just too much traffic on I-95 for only two lanes, especially when a lane was closed. Unfortunately, traffic doesn't flow. So, mix that together and it makes for a grind to the RI border.


Ever fascinated, I stopped by the memorial to those lost in a massive fire at the Station nightclub on Feb 20, 2003. One hundred lives were lost 230 more were injured when a pyrotechnic display ignited flammable acoustic foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. Jack Russell's Great White was getting ready to perform at the club in West Warwick.

The park was dedicated in 2017 and each victim is lovingly remembered with personal memorials. I remember when the fire occurred and I was honored to pay my respects today before moving on to the hotel. What struck me was how many of the victims were in the same age range as me.

Sad. All of it. May they rest in peace. It is said many survivors have dealt with post-traumatic stress since.

I'm back in my room now and the weather is quite gray as we keep our eye on Tropical Storm Debby, who is cruising up the east coast.

I've heard from Sean in Myrtle Beach and he is fine, if somewhat wet I suppose. Rain has been intense but, at last check, he was sending me pictures of Steelers items in stores down there. I'm happy to see each picture, serving as an indication of all being well.

I've also texted with Kristy, my niece in North Carolina, who said the rain is heavy as she had to drive to Raleigh. She said the storm was notable but they were OK.

I'll take those answers.

Of course, it's worth noting that it's supposed to eventually reach Greenwich (you know, there's a cat there) and, well, Rhode Island, where there's a baseball tournament to be played. I'm happily not in the shoes of those running the Little League tournament here who have to make decisions based on the weather.

I want what's best for the kids.

And these Trumbull kids are playing outstanding baseball. Their next game is tomorrow morning at 11* against a team from Vermont. Weather permitting the game will air on Robcasting and Gamechanger.

I have plenty of things to keep the equipment (hopefully) dry.

(*Update: Here we go with the weather. Tomorrow's game has been backed up from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm due to overnight rain)

No comments: