Monday, August 19, 2024

Don't Feed It. Please.

 

Dog begging for attention? Cute. Human? Not so much.

A day later, I remain astounded by the damage of Sunday's rain in the region.

Greenwich had some issues, particularly with 95 being closed for a stretch but I think we survived. I saw some footage of the Binney Park area across town so I can't say we were completely spared.

As I wrote last night, other parts of the state got walloped, like my friends in Oxford. I reached out to a few and haven't heard from all of them, unfortunately. However, there is no need to jump to conclusions.

But roads, bridges, and more were washed out around the area. A wedding and event venue in Monroe had a sinkhole open on its grounds. There's no question it was scary stuff.

Where I draw the line is when I know someone is looking for attention. And I frankly have a problem with those who provide the attention.

Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't, because I got exiled from that world roughly a year ago. 

Why, you ask? Because I didn't feed the troll the attention that they wanted!

But, fear not! Others do and they're the problem.

First, you got the version of being stranded in three-part harmony, followed by the mea culpa for winding up in that situation in the first place. Complete with twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows. And a paragraph on the back of each one.

OK, I'm partially quoting Alice's Restaurant Massacree by Arlo Guthrie but you get the point.

It's truly acceptable to not tell every story. I'm living proof of that. More often than not, I don't want attention but to each their own.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for storytelling. I just suppose there's a line or common sense to it.

Anyway, I'm glad everyone is safe and sound in that situation.


I also went off today on "Doubleheader" about ESPN's Kidscast, which I'm fully in favor of. First of all, the kids come from Bruce Beck's sports broadcasting camp, and there's no one who dislikes Bruce. He's been an outstanding guest a few times on "The Clubhouse" and is beloved.

Deservedly so.

It's not, however, cheap to attend, and I can imagine a certain subset of the region can attend the camp.

Let's cut to the chase: those who can afford it.

I'll further say that there is no way my parents would have scraped upwards of $1,500 for me to attend. Plus find a way to get me to and from the camp. There were simply realities in my youth and I understand that. Don't get me wrong, they provided and gave me a lot within their means. I was never denied playing baseball every year, for instance, so long as my grades were good enough and I had earned the right to play.

That's how I was raised and it's how I raised Sean.

Most years, the Kidscast broadcasters have been from Fairfield and Darien. I remember speaking with a dad several years ago who said he'd get his child whatever equipment and advantages were needed. He basically shrugged his shoulders as if it was expected.

I've wondered if there is a scholarship to let underprivileged kids attend.

The camp gets a world-class collection of broadcasters, reporters, and athletes to attend and it's certainly worthwhile. A few people who I know and have worked with have gone to the camp.

But as I watch each year (like last night), I find myself wondering where the kid from the tough section of an urban area is. Where is a truly deserving kid who would be well-served by the opportunity to train with high-end people before calling a Kidscast on ESPN?

And, of course, this just sends us back down the road of training and mentoring the next generation. One thing that has also gotten under my skin about this -- again, not the fault of the camp -- is that some of their graduates only wanted to be mentored by D-I and "major league" broadcasters.

Nope, they're not interested in the help of a "nobody" like me. Needless to say, it didn't help our relationship.

Anyway, I enjoy continuing to mentor broadcasters of all ages, whether they attend CSB or connect with me on their own. Max Feifer, a student from Horace Greeley High School, is the latest to attend "The School of Robcasting."

No. I do not call it that. 

Max has joined me on "Doubleheader" several times and we'll continue to do just that. To me, it's just as important to stay in touch even if the "internship" is over. I'm still in touch with several who have worked with me and they know the door is always open for a return.

And I'd fully embrace teaching a student who deserves an opportunity. 

That's always been the idea.

I hope this is something that the camp and ESPN consider for the future.

No comments: