Sunday, April 07, 2024

There is No Dark Side of the Moon

 

(Photo: Stephen Shankland/CNET)

You'll forgive me if I don't tweet 150 times over a 24 stretch about WrestleMania, won't you?

Good. Grief.

I don't want to spoil that party. I know many of my friends are into pro wrestling and have been for years. I remember friends 40 years ago being into it. 

They tried to drag me into it. Physically.

While I watched a few times and have just enough knowledge to discuss a little of it, I've never been into the WWE, etc scene.

I'm not here to mock it either. 

Nor am I here to knock the other phenomenon being discussed at the moment and that's the eclipse happening tomorrow.

Initially, I had a baseball game scheduled that would be starting towards the back end of the eclipse tomorrow but that game has been moved to Tuesday. So, no go there.

What a bummer. I was prepared to do play-by-play of what was going on!

Instead, I'll likely be here. I'm considering taking "Doubleheader" outside to watch things as they end. I've never done the show from my deck and I think I'll do that tomorrow. There will likely be background noise of I-95 and trains running by, but so what? 

We're meant to be outside tomorrow.

Of course, solar eclipse glasses would be nice.

After finishing up "Meet the Beatles" this morning, Sean and I took a walk up Greenwich Ave. to the Warby Parker store. We immediately found that they were out of free eclipse glasses so we soldiered on and eventually made our way back home.

That's how it goes, I guess.

I'd heard that the library had some but the last I heard they were out also. 

But that doesn't take away from this for me. There are ways to survive without FOMO. We won't miss out.

We also won't damage our eyes.

Later in the day, I settled in to watch the Iowa/South Carolina basketball game. I readily admit I've become a Caitlin Clark fan and wanted to see the sensational Hawkeye finish her career with a ring. Still, it's hard to knock the phenomenal team that is South Carolina. Dawn Staley's team had the size and a deep bench to survive any early offensive explosion by Clark.

In the end, despite a talented Iowa team, it just wasn't enough and South Carolina finished a perfect season.

The greater point remains we're talking about women's college basketball. 

And, in my mind, this wasn't an "oh yeah, that game is on moment." This was appointment TV.

Back to "Meet the Beatles" for a moment. There were too many technical hiccups because our studio really isn't the best for playing music. So it's on me to adjust and get better at it, all while providing the best content. I did a covers show today and I nearly played everything I had on my list but there were a few moments when things didn't come across. 

It was operator error and I'll keep getting better from it.

Not that it's any excuse, but I dragged myself into the studio this morning after calling two games on Saturday. The day began with lacrosse at Brunswick on the soccer field as the Bruins once again displayed the potential for a truly special season. Their opponent -- Loomis Chaffee -- is another top team. The Bruins took the game 13-6.

Then I went up to Poughkeepsie for the Hudson Valley Vipers contest. I was thrilled to have Dan Murphy on the call with me. Dan texted me earlier in the day to see if I wanted company, and I was glad to have his steady demeanor and good sense of humor on the headset. We blended together easily so it made for a smooth broadcast. Pretty amazing since last night was only his second broadcast.

But, well, it was a night. The final score was 13-9. There were too many penalties to count. Three players were ultimately ejected. 

And the broadcast got silly at times -- which I noted on the air -- speaking to what kind of night it was.

All along, going back to lacrosse, I had a headache and a muscle ache in the back of my neck, likely the result of craning to look at something. That persisted through the drive to and from hockey and the broadcast itself.

Plus I was hungry. Thankfully, Saturday's post was written hours earlier so I didn't need to sit in the McDonald's parking lot following the three-hour hockey broadcast.

But rolling down the Taconic State Parkway, I pondered a later dinner. I knew we needed milk and I supposed I could pick up some milk at a convenience store. At worst, I could have cereal. 

Then, inspiration struck! Rocky's Deli in Millwood, is a minute off the TSP. They're always open. In fact, when I left Mahopac at 4 a.m. to head to Hunt Scanlon for our flight to London in 2022, I went to Rocky's to grab a ham, egg, and cheese on a hard roll and coffee.

At 11:30 on Saturday night, I had the same idea minus the coffee. An egg and cheese sounded really good.

And yet....yet? I had a sinking feeling.

I was right. There was a line out the door. No thanks. I went to a nearby store, grabbed milk, and went home.

I had a bowl of cereal and collapsed. Even the cat couldn't disturb me.

And so, friends, we head into tomorrow, post-Wrestlemania. Post-Yankees take two of three from the Blue Jays. Post-South Carolina/Iowa.

Straight into eclipse mania.

Despite postponed games, and whatever schools are doing, it will all be over by dinner time.

And, if you buy into what the conspiracy theorists are selling, who knows what else will happen?

Then again, if you buy into that you're probably reading the wrong blog.

See you tomorrow.

I hope.

No comments: