Friday, April 12, 2024

Game Called

 

Calling Norwalk/McMahon in 2015 in Cooperstown

It was late February when I saw the post.

Brien McMahon and Stamford High Schools announced that their baseball teams were going to play a regular season game at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown, NY.

Just steps from the Hall of Fame.

I had to go, even if I paid for it myself. The game would air on Robcasting.

I emailed both athletic directors and they were immediately on board. I just needed to confirm that Cooperstown was OK with it.

The plan expanded to WGCH wanting to carry the game. We even found a sponsor (thank you, Splash Car Wash). I had a hotel booked for me.

Cooperstown had no problem with it.

I had a roster from McMahon. I was working on getting Stamford's.

I went on WGCH this morning to talk about it and we were also airing a promo that I wrote and recorded yesterday.

Then came lunchtime today and the whole thing was wiped out.

No game.

Being proactive and saving all of us the travel, Cooperstown canceled the game due to expected bad weather all weekend.

I can say to you now that I understand and it helps soothe my disappointment. 

In the moment, not so much.

But, allow me to see things in a fair light.

First of all, it's not about me. I'll repeat that. It's about the players.

Paul Silverfarb and I were part of the broadcast team
on HAN Radio in 2015

As for me, this would have been my second call at Doubleday Field. I called a McMahon/Norwalk game on April 19, 2015, and consider it one of my favorite experiences. The game wasn't particularly memorable as McMahon won 7-3 but the experience was amazing. It was part of a long weekend of games that began with a Warde/Ludlowe game Friday night in Bridgeport.

The following morning, I drove to Cooperstown to walk the site and make sure we had what we would need for the broadcast. I walked the town, finding nuggets and prepping as I saw Cooperstown in a different way. 

The game itself was played late Sunday afternoon and was a time in which the HAN Radio/Network crew all got along and laughed a lot.

I treasure that experience.

But Sean was joining me for the trip this time and we were both excited.

Yet Mother Nature wins the game.



However, the teams can go back and you bet I'll try to go as well. In fact, basically, any team can go so long as it's paid for. 

So, sure, I'm disappointed. But it's the teams -- the players -- that I feel bad for. They should have a way to go and have that experience. I don't know how to explain it to you but there's something magical about Doubleday Field. 

As for us, we can go and just visit. In fact, I suggested that to Sean and his response was the same as mine.

We wanted to broadcast a game.

But it's not meant to be. Again, trying to find a positive, I think about saving money on food, admission to the Hall of Fame, and, maybe, a souvenir. Plus gas and wear and tear.

We'll get back to Cooperstown.

I hope some local teams go back and we can broadcast it.

No comments: