Saturday, April 06, 2024

Severe Snark Warning In Effect

 

This would not be ideal today

Our wacky weather, combined with a long day ahead, gave me pause to sit at the keyboard this morning.

Heavy rain. Earthquake. Aftershock. Eclipse. It's mass hysteria!

So here I am, your (hopefully) favorite "VERY upset" talk show/podcast host, preparing my little heart out for today, per the provisions set forth in the Preparation Accord of 1964*.

* Patent Pending, of course 

First, for your late lunch/early dinner pleasure, we head to Carroll Varsity Soccer Field for lacrosse. Yes, that's correct. Due to Cosby Field being unplayable at the moment thanks to the weather, today's Brunswick lacrosse game against Loomis Chaffee has been moved to the soccer field across King St. I've worked from there several times and it's an outstanding facility, even if it lacks the amenities of Cosby Field.

As such, there is no press box or large grandstands. But it will absolutely suffice and we will broadcast it in all its glory. I'll head over in a bit to see exactly where we're setting up. I have a suspicion but I'm not 100% sure yet.

But we'll be there and it will be spectacular. Oh, nothing to do with me but everything to do with two top-10 teams. Excellence will be seen.

The game will begin at 2 p.m. and will wrap up around 4. You can watch it on LocalLive. That will give me more than enough time to jump on 684, grab food somewhere, and head to Poughkeepsie for tonight's Boston Gold Kings/Hudson Valley Vipers hockey tilt. I've done what I can to cover the Vipers in their first year and it looks like I'll wind up calling nine of their home games in the first season.

The Vipers game begins at 7 p.m. and I'll likely be live around 6:55 on Robcasting.

The idea was to help get them off the ground from a coverage standpoint with the hope of expanding somehow next year. We both know that and will hopefully talk about it after the season.

I'm hoping in the midst of all this to avoid hurricanes, typhoons, blizzards, sinkholes, locusts, pythons, and stink bugs. 

And, since there's a chance of showers, to hopefully stay dry. A fellow broadcaster noted working outside and his concern over the equipment. I assured him it's duly noted and, believe me, it's always a concern to me, whether the equipment is mine or not. I'll have the umbrella and rain gear with me. Honestly, that's all I can do.

So, let's have a day, shall we? Let's be positive and have fun!

Oh, was there a basketball game last night? Yes, in fact, there were two. South Carolina dispensed with NC State in the first one while Iowa survived UConn.

First, a note about the broadcast. I had it muted until the very end. That's the only way to survive it. But I felt I was duty-bound to hear how it ended.

Oof. That was a bad decision. In an incredibly crucial moment, the broadcast team of the Fordham Flash (no, not Frankie Frisch -- look him up) and the UConnLegend neglected to give us any details of the offensive foul at the end of the game.

Bad. Bad Bad. Did I say "bad?"

Were they too busy coming up with the next location Caitlin Clark would sink a three-pointer from? (Note: it's not new or unique. Kickoffs and run backs and home runs have ended miles away since at least 1999)

The offensive foul call was one that I was surprised about in that spot. I asked someone I trusted about the call and the person I talked to said the call could have been let go. But that's sports. Most people saw it with their hearts. 

A few things to keep in mind: UConn also had a double-digit lead and did they let Iowa get back in the game? You Bet!

Did Clark -- who couldn't find a shot in the first half -- heat up? You bet! She began hitting shots from Sandusky and Findlay (where Ben Roethlisberger played in high school).

Did UConn fail to box out after Clark missed her free throw? Bingo.

Bad calls happen. I've seen them. I've been a part of them. They've hurt and helped every team I've ever been involved with.

But the game didn't end thanks to that call. It was a call I wish they didn't make in that spot.

But they did.

Paige Bueckers, Caitlin Clark, and both teams deserved to finish things on the floor. Both coaches -- especially Geno Auriemma -- were incredible.

That's what I'd rather be talking about today.

But, here's the thing. We're talking about college basketball today. Women's college basketball.

And that's a great thing.

Game over.

Snark Warnings mean that an abundance of sarcasm and humor will be mixed in with scathing commentary about events. Readers are advised to prepare to laugh or check their lack of a sense of humor. Preparation is subjective but it is advised that learning to laugh is wise.

No comments: