Friday, April 19, 2024

The "S" in ESPN Should Stand for "Sean"

 

Screenshot from Hudson Valley Renegades on "X"

First of all, there's nothing like a long ballgame on a cold, dreary night, followed by an interminable drive home to help one sleep.

I'm not going to tell you that I slept like a baby but it wasn't all bad.

I was glad to see my friends back at Heritage Financial Park last night and to get behind the mic. I thought the four of us in the booth (me, Anthony, Beats, and Murph) put on a pretty good show. 

In the seventh inning, the Aberdeen IronBirds had a runner on second and one out when a fly ball was hit to shallow centerfield. Shortstop Roc Riggio went back on the ball and made a circus catch, colliding with centerfielder Nelson Medina. Riggio then had the presence of mind to throw the ball back to second base from his back as first baseman Josh Moylan ran over to scoop it up and step on the bag, completing your average double play.

It was wacky. In the PA booth, we all reacted to the play, holding any noise or commentary before making sure all players were ok following the collision. 

A tip for all: I assure you that we're all mighty professional up there. We're sensitive to injuries. And, speaking for myself, I've navigated more than my share of those situations. You choose words and sounds very carefully.

Eventually, as the players trotted off the field, I resumed doing the sponsor read and Murph played music and we got on the evening. Incidentally, Murph is actually playing a keyboard every night and it sounds tremendous.

After the game, there was some buzz about the play, and some felt the play needed to be seen on SportsCenter on ESPN. As you know, I'm not one to push for that kind of attention, but I get that's what a team's social media account is for.

And, this morning, they got their wish. It's introduced by the anchors and there's the play, in all its insanity, for the world to see.

In fact, many social media accounts shared the play.

I'm particularly proud of it for my Renegades colleagues, but I'm especially proud of the camerawork.

It's Sean's.

I'm so used to seeing his stuff that I'm normally unfazed, other than letting him know that it looks good. He's in his fourth season doing this now and his work has made its way to YES, MLB Network, and now ESPN off the top of my head. I'm willing to bet other baseball programming has used it, not to mention myriad social media accounts.

Besides being his always-proud father, I'm also a cheerleader and career advisor, reminding him that this is to be included on his résumé. 

I told him about the ESPN attention when he got up this morning* and he smiled, modestly pleased with the attention but still laughing about the play.

* Please note we still (currently) live in Greenwich and he works for the Renegades in Wappingers Falls. His mother -- where he legally lives -- is not far from the stadium. But, again, he's here with me in Greenwich. 

You know I'm proud of him. The guy who was so nervous before his first broadcast has become a natural. I'm glad his work is receiving a level of respect, even if not by name.

*****

Another note from yesterday was hopeful good news.

You're not going to believe this but my mother has been paying for insurance on her home and car up until this week.

Now, if you're new here, allow me to tell you that my mother died in Sep 2020. Her car was turned in that fall and her house was sold in May 2022.

And yet, money continued to be automatically withdrawn.

I called about it a while back and got the usual runaround of forms and questions.

Finally, the pieces began to come together within the past few weeks. Still, the insurance company wanted more. I mean, I literally offered a death certificate and it wasn't enough. Not only that, everything came to me in the form of forms. As in form emails.

The last request included a need for a proof of sale, humorous given it was a lease. So I called Toyota and talked to someone who was about as helpful as a three-dollar bill. They told me to go to the dealer.

Befuddled, I did that yesterday, since it was sort of on my way to Wappingers Falls. At first, they were also befuddled but I sat with Bill, a salesman I recall Mom talking to when she pursued one of her cars in the latter years of her life.

To be absolutely certain, they were sympathetic to me but, as he worked with his computer, he began to think there was nothing he could do. He told me I'd have to call Toyota back and be pushy with them.

So that three-dollar buck was getting shoveled around.

Then he made a call. Within a few minutes, he spoke with someone who found some paperwork and said I'd have it within 7-10 business days.

Bingo.

I think -- hope -- that will resolve everything. I've already sent over proof of the house being sold and feel like this is trending towards a resolution. 

If you know the circumstances of dealing with a loved one's affairs after they pass, then you know what this is like, even years later.

We need a few wins. This one would help.

No comments: