Saturday, April 27, 2024

Boring

 

Probably listening to a baseball broadcast

Once again, I've taken a deep breath.

Serenity now!

Namaste!

There are a few things that can make me nuts, and that almost manifested itself yesterday.

And, in fact, at least one reader requested #RobUnleashed. Oh, don't worry, that will happen again, though I'm normally embarrassed when it's over.

Then today, Joey Zanaboni, the viral wiz of play-by-play decided to dump on the baseball play-by-play community by calling us "kinda boring."


Yeah. That's a trigger. Much like the other one who wrote that not prepping like him was "lazy."

But yes, I'm continuing to stay above it.

Except.

For Mr. Zanaboni, who has blocked me (same as one of his supporters, who used to rip him to me), he seems to be forgetting the very copyright that we've all heard so many times.

You know the one. It mentions "any rebroadcast, retransmission, or account of this game, without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, is prohibited."

It doesn't matter if you use "royalty-free canned sound effects" as he was just mentioning.

Yes. I watched for a moment.

I was also his only viewer.

I lasted one batter.

Guess baseball broadcasting really can be boring.

Except, I called baseball today. Brunswick had a rough outing against Stony Brook from Long Island.

I'd like to think it wasn't boring. Heck, I'd like to think my broadcasts are never boring, but who can possibly say that with certainty?

Baseball broadcasting is boring? Vin? Mel? Red? Scooter? Gare? Kay? Ueck? Joe Davis? Joe and/or Jack Buck? Shall I keep going?

Some games are just going to be snoozers. We -- as the conduits -- try to keep it engaging with stories and insights while continuing to accurately report the events on the field.

From there, it's knowing how to use the voice as an instrument with inflection. Context very much matters. Freaking out when the losing team homers to make it 13-1 doesn't exactly fit. Calling it with excitement but not going over the top is my approach.

No witty one-liners written on the nearby yellow legal pad are necessary. Just react and be natural.

I'm willing to grant that some of the nearly 4,300 posts in the history of this blog have been boring. But, still, like the broadcasts, I do my best to make sure they're not.

Joey Zanaboni has made his way into MLS with St. Louis City SC. It's actually a perfect fit for his shtick. Soccer broadcasters tend to be known for some of that electricity. 

But when he makes these obnoxious and rather arrogant statements that degrade people (like me) who put on quality broadcasts, well, it tends to ruffle my feathers. That after he (and others) wrote about things that have happened to him (bullying, etc). Then they essentially do similar things.

I appreciate his confidence and his self-promotion, even if it's not my thing. But I think he overdoes it.

So he's currently on Twitch calling a broadcast that he's probably not supposed to be calling.

To that end, Mike Hirn and I are considering creating the Hirn Adams Network. 

You know, HAN.

No harm there, right?

I wish Joey well. I do. We can agree to disagree. We're stylistically different. But it would be nice if those of us who disagree could be bigger people, get over ourselves, and become a better community.

Sadly, that won't happen anytime soon.

Especially when you degrade me and others in this industry.

No comments: