Friday, April 05, 2024

A Shaky Friday

 

(NBC Boston)

There was an earthquake this morning.

Aaron Judge, Yankees superstar, was asked where he was when it hit. 

"I don't want to say," he said with a laugh.

I hear ya, big fella. Same here.

But hit it did. A 4.8 rumble around these parts can be, pardon the pun, jarring. Nothing fell or was damaged to my knowledge. I walked around the house and it is fine. The cat seemed a little unnerved. Sean and I both laughed at it.

A bottle in the overflowing recycling biz tumbled out. 

Then we went about our day with a story to tell. Eventually, I came home and did my talk show/podcast from Connecticut.

You know, "Doubleheader," the show I do on WGCH RADIO at 4 p.m. It also airs on Robcasting as well as Facebook. In the case of Facebook, it airs without commercials and other elements to avoid copyright concerns. Some think it's a "podcast" or whatever but, rest assured, it's a radio show.

People watch. They listen. That includes those who don't want me to know they're watching and listening.

Then, they collect things I say and "tell on me" to others.

It's funny. Today, for instance, I specifically noted that what I say and do on the show shouldn't be taken that seriously. Most of it is in good fun though I know we have gotten rather selective about humor.

My talk show style is based on Mike and Mad Dog and Don Imus and other radio personalities who had fun and made fun of things without worry. It's meant to be irreverent though I'm not a shock jock, I enjoy having fun. That's the idea. 

Oh, I can get quite serious, as I did when ripping Major League Baseball at the end of the show.

But I wasn't "very upset" as was noted in the vague tweet online. In fact, I had to think about what I said when I saw the tweet. Thus it wasn't very memorable.

This is a continued approach dating back to a GIF I posted last fall, which was met with a fierce rebuke about what a horribly negative person I am. I chose to not respond to it then, though I've said a few things about it since. Still, I have not responded. That person chose to systematically remove all correspondence -- positive and otherwise -- between us. Within minutes of the GIF and his telling me off, I was blocked from any further discussion.

Truth: I'm not a horribly negative person. I'm honest and don't tolerate phonies. But I'm actually a fairly positive person who is also a huge cheerleader.

The shame of it is, I completely own that this person had given me a few great opportunities in the past and I had some good conversations with him. We even worked together a few times. What he doesn't know is that I was a defender of his for some time, exactly because he was good to me. I made that known to his critics, to be quite blunt.

Beyond that, I'll keep it there. If he wants to talk further, I'm here.

He's not the only person for what it's worth. There's also the one I didn't pay enough attention to. I don't have time for that or the people who enable the behavior.

Right around the time the latest ruckus was being relayed to me, we had a 4.0 aftershock hit us. This time, I can assure you I was sitting on my couch, laughing at the insanity of it all.

I'm going to keep my mouth shut. All opinions are valid. We're allowed to disagree. I'll focus on lacrosse tomorrow. I'll watch college basketball. I should be able to avoid trouble that way.

Anyway, much ado about nothing. Silliness abounds.

(P.S., I'm not going to change)

No comments: