Sunday, April 14, 2024

Sunday Morning

 

A center field view of Greenwich Baseball 
from their temporary home at Havemeyer Field

This morning, 7:45 a.m.

Thanks to The Cat, The Beatles, and WGCH, I was out of the house early.

The Cat helped with a not-so great night of sleep. Well, first it was people talking loudly across the street out of Bruce Park Grill at 1:30 a.m.

Then Rascal announced his presence around 5:00. 

There would be no more sleep after that. I fed him, read, and got ready for "Meet the Beatles" at WGCH.

But first, breakfast, and since we had no milk in the place I went out.

As I've mentioned before, finding a breakfast sandwich on Sunday morning isn't easy. Plaza Restaurant, within walking distance on Railroad Ave, isn't open. So the options change and, as a result, I went to Firehouse Deli over in Byram.

They know how to create a ham, egg, cheese, and hashbrown patty masterpiece.

Parking isn't great there, but it's not terrible. It normally means going across the street and parking near Byram Shubert Library. At that hour of the day, nobody is too mindful of meters and parking permits. It's the sort of area where you do your business and get back on the road.

As I walked from the car, it struck me.

I love Sunday morning.

Sunday morning is breakfast.

It's Charles Kuralt and Charles Osgood and Jane Pauley, each one eloquently presiding over the events on CBS Sunday Morning each week since 1979. You knew you were watching a show with class and grace each week.

Sunday morning is jazz, led by Miles Davis and "Kind of Blue" but if you go with Dave Brubeck and "Time Out," well who am I to argue?

Oh, Sunday morning is also "Meet the Beatles," thank you very much.

Sunday morning is a book. A good book. A great book.

Sunday morning is a great movie and it would be perfectly acceptable if that movie was in black and white.

To that end, Sunday morning is Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello or the Bowery Boys. Heck even The Little Rascals though I'm sure we'd have some kind of discussion about political correctness.

But that's just it. Sunday morning -- while full of political chat shows -- shouldn't be about politics. At least not fighting about politics. Sunday morning should be about a cup of coffee -- and whatever kind of blessed coffee you want -- and smart conversation.

If you can make that conversation remain civil and still discuss politics, then you're my kind of people. If you can stir up debate about anything -- yes, even sports -- and keep voices in respectful tones, then you've mastered something.

That's what Sunday morning should be.

Sunday morning should be a fuzzy robe, slippers, and snuggled up on the couch. I mean, sitting in bed is also an option but I'm keeping this family friendly.

Sunday morning is also for listening to the birds or traffic going by. Without horns, please.

Seriously. I beg of you. No horns.

Sunday mornings are for activities and family time and personal thought. 

Sunday mornings are for taking that cup of coffee and heading off to a baseball game. Or softball. Or soccer. Or basketball. Yes, even football, hockey, and any other sport.

Sunday mornings are for driving. Oh, I love an early Sunday drive. You see, people don't want to be out of bed yet. They don't want to be on the road before probably 11 a.m. So that allows for a nice head start to be in the car. 

That, friends, would have been the approach for our drive to Cooperstown but it wasn't meant to be this morning. It will happen some other time but I can tell you it's quite possible we likely would have been on the road and parked on Church Street behind the Hall of Fame by 11 a.m. today. 

Instead, I was crossing Mill St. in Byram before 8 a.m. and walking back out a few minutes later with my breakfast sandwich.

Quite drowsy, I went to WGCH, ate my breakfast, drank my coffee, and tried to steer my brain towards The Beatles.

Then I went back home ... and promptly fell asleep.

With The Cat next to me.

Before taking a walk to Havemeyer Field to watch Greenwich baseball against Immaculate. The lack of a scoreboard makes the experience interesting but, then again, the lack of a broadcast makes it difficult for me.

After that, I got to take Sean back to Firehouse for lunch.

Then "The A-Team" reunited to watch golf at Chris Erway's house. Gotta enjoy those times.

I'm hoping I sleep better tonight.

But, first, Billy Joel on CBS. It still boggles my mind that Billy Joel played a concert within walking distance of our apartment two years ago. 

A priceless memory I will cherish forever.

Hearing him play "Vienna" is something I will hold next to McCartney doing "Day Tripper" and any Huey Lewis show.

Special. Very.

No comments: