Thursday, April 04, 2024

A Pole (almost) Falls in Greenwich


 

All seemed quiet around the Presidential Suite* this morning.

* You know, father and son with the last name Adams? 

Then I heard a noise. Let's call it a crunch.

Crunches happen frequently outside our place for a variety of reasons so they're normally nothing to worry about.

Except this one had a visual element. The telephone/power pole outside the front window moved.

I'm not sure I need to explain this but it shouldn't do that.

For a moment, I wondered where the pole would land and what the impact would be. I watched with caution thinking there might be sparks. 

I yelled to Sean and we observed the situation.

The pole rested on top of the truck, which was an Enterprise rental box truck.

The driver got out and also observed.

According to what I was later told, he called the police. The jig was up. 

Sean and I knew that action was necessary before we lost power. We each pulled ourselves together and shifted into a standby mode, prepared to leave the apartment if needed.

By the time I stepped back towards the window maybe 10 minutes later, Sean told me the driver of the truck was being handcuffed. Indeed, I stood and watched as he was loaded into a cruiser. I'd later watch police talk further with him on the street.

According to people I talked with later, the truck was stolen. So, yeah.

Eventually, I walked to my car to make sure everything was OK with it (and it was). Otherwise, we were fine to go about our business. In fact, our road was never closed, except to trucks, as I watched a truck get tangled in the overhead wires at one point.

Sean and I were actually able to leave for lunch and come back.

Working quickly, a crew showed up in the afternoon with two trucks to pull the pole off the Enterprise truck. After moving that truck, they got to work on standing the pole back up and stabilizing it. 

Sometime after four -- a little over five hours after the truck hit it -- everything was cleaned up.

Pretty amazing.

Electrifying, I'd say.

*****


I had the great thrill of calling tonight's Brunswick/Darien lacrosse game. The game had been shifted between sites, times, and broadcasting outlets thanks to the weather impacting Brunswick's Cosby Field. Ultimately, the game was moved to Darien High School and would be broadcast on DAF Media.

And yes, they wanted the old dude (hi) to call it, with my friend Dan Arestia. Ryan Dahlquist, a Darien High student, rounded out the on-air team.

I have to tell you ... ready? ... I'm pretty proud of the broadcast tonight. It looked great and everyone said it sounded great. 

The game wasn't a classic. Brunswick built up a 4-0 lead and never trailed. They won 12-6.

It was a pleasure to work with the DAF Media team, led by Bruce Ferguson tonight, though Damian Andrew is normally at the front of it all.

It also had that feeling of the days of the HAN Network when we were a machine. While we weren't all student-run, we were largely a collection of people who didn't know much about broadcasting, especially at first. There were only a few of us that had any broadcasting experience.

There's still a book in all of that somewhere.

But, for tonight, it was a blast and I'd do it again.

No comments: