Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Taxman

 


Let me tell you how it will be

There's one for you, nineteen for me.

'Cause I'm the Taxman. Yeah, I'm the Taxman.

-- "Taxman," The Beatles (written by George Harrison), 1966

I did my taxes today, oh boy.

I'll say that I'm thankful they didn't take it all.

I mean, it's tough to be almost an exclusive freelance/contract worker to begin with (to go along with the nifty little underpayment penalty the IRS decided to add for fun).

I expected it to be ugly though I admit I didn't expect it to be this bad. In fact, sadly, I made less in 2023 but am paying more.

Yet, I plugged in more W2 and 1099 forms than should be possible.

At first, I'll tell you I sat in my office, staring at my computer with a look that was likely a combination of sickness and bemusement. 

Then, somehow, I did something that was quite wise.

I walked away.

I began focusing on preparing for this week's "Meet the Beatles." I also prepared for tomorrow's baseball game. Though it might not happen, one has to go through the motions. I also got ready for "Doubleheader."

Soon, my heart rate began to return to normal and I stopped staring straight ahead as if I was already deceased.

Oh, the issue isn't going away but as you know, we have until April 15 to do the deed. Honestly, I don't feel any great rush to pay them but at the same time, I don't feel like I'm a rebel by not paying them.

They'll get paid. I might go back into them and see if I can find any other breaks, given the obnoxious price I'll be also paying to get them done.

Oh, and I tried another service to see if that would get any better. Let me tell you that it instead was definitively worse.

This is what it is. I accept that it would be bad. The sad part is I find myself wondering about needing more work and cutting costs. Plus, you know, non-freelance work. And benefits.

Basic life needs and all.

Politics aren't what I'm here for.

(Ah ah Mister Biden)

I know I don't want to pay some more.

(Ah ah Mister Trump)

* Apologies to George Harrison. Not my best work.

No comments: