Thursday, April 18, 2024

June 30

 


It's the question I've dealt with the most since letting on that Sean and I have to move.

"When do you have to be out by?"

Nothing had been in stone. There was hope of some wiggle room. I kept thinking the rental gods might give us a window. Maybe, just maybe we could have the summer since the market is rough.

August 1? Sept 1? Oh, let's just call the whole thing off and you can stay?

Nah. Nope. Are you out of your mind?

June 30. Game over.

I'm writing earlier this morning since I have to work for the Renegades tonight. It's my first time on the public address microphone for them in 2024. They're two games into the home season already and have won in their last at-bat each time.

I've watched a few seconds of each game, mostly to see Sean's camera work. Somehow he has entered his fourth year as a professional cameraperson. I'd like to think opportunities will come his way but that's his story to tell.

So, yes, I'm writing early today though I could have written hours ago as I've basically been up all night. That doesn't mean I didn't get some sleep. I did get a little but don't kid yourself.

My mind raced. Fretted. Despaired. I suppose you can say panicked also.

My rational mind tried hard to not get despondent. Keep believing that things will be OK.

But, please, if you're going to tell me that, it better be convincing. 

I rolled through towns last night online, looking for listings. 

Stamford. Norwalk. Fairfield. Danbury. Greenwich. Port Chester. Brewster. Carmel. Mahopac. 

At the same time, I stress about work. Sure, I'm working. But I'd like more work and for things to settle down. That also plays into this. I can't even express how disappointing taxes were, though I know I recently wrote about them. But it felt like I paid exorbitantly more this year.

If it sounds like things are coming to a head for me, well, you're spot on. In the process of all of this, I'm thinking about a lot of things, including changes in my career.

It's possible. You have to be able to pay the rent.

But we'll deal with that bridge when the flames push me to that point.

For now, the answer is the answer.

June 30.

We're out.

Start packing.

Tick tick tick.

*****

Here's a reminder that things are written with heavy doses of humor via parody and snark. You have been warned.

OK, one other thing. I started to put this in tweet form but as I don't pay for Twitter/X, I only have the requisite characters to work with. See, the thing is, if I want to write a novella every time I tweet, I'll just write a blog. For free.

I digress.

Anyway, word has come down from on high that the Yankees have three apparent candidates for the coveted play-by-play job being vacated by John Sterling. And thus, friends, unless your name is Justin Shackil, Emmanuel Berbari, Brendan Burke, or perhaps dare I say Ryan Ruocco, don't you dare follow your dreams and send your materials to WFAN or the New York Yankees!

I mean, it has been spoken! You've dreamed of this job since listening to Frank Messer, Phil Rizzuto, and Bill White on WMCA or John Sterling and Michael Kay on WABC but his high holiness has said don't bother!

So much for positivity!

You'd think someone with such inside knowledge and revered insight would teach or mentor or something. 

As a teacher and mentor myself, I give students reality but never squash their dreams. If someone asked me about pursuing the Yankees job, I'd likely tell them to go for it because you never know.

As a reminder, I recently did that with another dream job that likely isn't realistic but I simply felt I had to try. Believe me, I hate writing cover letters. I hate creating demo reels, never certain of what a hiring manager wants to hear (pro tip: they're not even sure).

Instead, it's all just opinions, couched in what he thinks is the gospel according to himself. 

It's all just opinions, delivered as if nobody else is entitled to one and you'll get blocked if you try.

That's the stuff that makes America great, isn't it?

*****

June 30.

That's the answer.

No comments: