Sunday, April 21, 2024

It's Sunday Night

 

Doing the PA reads before today's Renegades game
(Photo: Dan Muphy)

It's so often that I write about my difficulties sleeping.

However, my recent grind of Renegades games, chilly nights, long drives, plus a doubleheader of Brunswick lacrosse and Hudson Valley Vipers hockey had me wiped out when my head hit the pillow.

That would have been after midnight this morning. Thus, I really did sleep soundly for a stretch. At least, that is until Mr. You-know-who decided he wanted breakfast.

The Cat. Not Sean.

So I was up by six and soon pulled together for "Meet the Beatles."

I'll give myself credit for what I thought was a decent show content-wise as well as minimal technical snafus. Despite being groggy, I handled the show with aplomb. Or I just wanted to say aplomb.

But, seriously, I stumbled into the radio station this morning.

I finished the show, edited and uploaded the audio, and ran home before going right back out to handle the PA for the matinee in Wappingers Falls.

Several of my road friends were there, including Dan Murphy, who has become a close friend and fellow broadcaster, as well as Steve Alpert and the hockey-playing sensation known as Doug Kerr. If you've listened to the couple of Vipers games that Dan and I have called then you get that joke.

However, I only chatted with them briefly before they went to their seats and enjoyed the cider donuts that I'd like to enjoy.

The game was not so great as the Reneg...er...Cider Donuts lost to Aberdeen. My friends were gone before I had a chance to say goodbye.

Sean and I left the stadium soon after. As a reminder, as I said yesterday, trust your people. Empower them. Don't hover over them or micromanage them.

We did the drive back to Greenwich, picking up dinner as we drove, tried to find cider donuts of our own (with no success), and came back to The Cat around 7:00.

He's talking to his friends and here I am, typing away and trying to convince myself to stay up a little bit longer as the clock pushes towards 10.

A new week beckons. "The Clubhouse" returns plus there's an 11 a.m. Renegades game on Wednesday and I have a podcast to record and I get to be a play-by-play announcer again. Let's face it, that's my happy place.

This is to say I hope things are trending the right way.

But, for now, I'm happy to put this day and this week in the rearview mirror.

It's after 10:30. I'm going to bed.

No comments: