Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Renegades, The Clubhouse, and Mom

 

Hats galore in the Renegades Team Store.
Stop in and tell Luis that I sent you

I'm sitting in the lobby of the Hotel MTK with time to kill before I have to set up for "The Clubhouse."

The place we broadcast from is the hotel restaurant, which doesn't open until 5:00 so I settled into a comfy chair.

The running of the day began at 8 a.m. because Sean and I both had to get to Wappingers Falls. It was an Education Day game, so multiple school classes came out to the stadium for the game.

It's fair to say the kids are there because they get out of school for some time, followed by the fun, food, and games. Plus the mascots. Maybe some of the entertainment as well, especially the music being played next to me by Murph.

The baseball game itself matters. It does. And many of the kids were into it.

As for me, meh. I like listening to the kids enjoy themselves, and a row full of them walked by and shook my hand as they left. I'm happy to talk to them as well but, overall, they want to hear their name said over the PA system. Needless to say, that's a hard thing to pull off with so many kids there.

The Renegades had what looked like a dramatic win on their hands when the Bowling Green Hot Rods scored two runs in the top of the ninth. The Hot Rods went on to get the win.

The day had more to it there but I was satisfied with another completed game.

Mom and her guys, 2020.
I'll use this picture whenever I can.

Since then, Sean and I had lunch back near Mahopac at one of our old favorite places. As it happens to be Mom's birthday, it was a nice way to celebrate her memory. We're still planning a pizza night in her honor but there are too many things to do at the moment.

But thinking of Mom at 87 is a bit overwhelming. In fact, it still seems surreal to think of Mom as not being with us. Nancy Adams had such spirit that I almost expect a text sometimes telling me that she left groceries at the bottom of the stairs for me to carry up.

That feeling comes and goes and it speaks to how she's still with us in so many ways. Sean and I joke about her and tell stories all the time. It numbs whatever pain there still is.

Humor. To us, it remains undefeated.

Hotel MTK lobby, Mount Kisco, NY

But there's another show to be done, with our first "Clubhouse" of the season coming up at 7 p.m. I was explaining the show to someone at the stadium this morning and, admittedly, I began with outrage over the fact that they didn't know about the show in the first place.

I mean, it's been on for 500 years. Or maybe 20.

Either way, we've built quite the guest list, which Dave Torromeo correctly reminds us we should compile.

We've had hall of famers and entertainers and a variety of well-known names join us. Frankly, it's quite an impressive list. 

We're always doing the show from a fun location, be it bars that we put out of business*, arcades, golf simulation businesses, or hotel restaurants.

* OK, not quite. We did the show from a bar/restaurant in Norwalk one time several years ago. We actually ran up quite a hefty bill (that part I'd rather forget) and had a nice night. In fact, Mom and my sister were also in the audience. However, the place went out of business not long after we were there.

You could say there is a "Clubhouse jinx" to us but I refuse to participate in that.

We're a mighty fun bunch to hang with. OK, Mark Jeffers and Dave Torromeo are. 

Anyway, it's also time for me to set up. Join us live on WGCH, wgch.com, or on Robcasting at robcasting.mixlr.com.


No comments: