Wednesday, April 03, 2024

"Canceled"

 


We have a perfect storm today.

Actually, yes, it's storming quite a bit, but the storm in question is, in part, metaphorical.

I was supposed to call Brunswick's game today against Putnam Science Academy but it's pouring and very windy here in the 203.

I checked the Brunswick website a few hours ago to confirm what I knew and, instead of seeing that the game had been postponed (and thus would be made up), the word was more definitive.

Canceled.

That likely means the two teams couldn't find another window to play the game, so that's that. The players lose a game.

Selfishly, so do I.

It's not what you want.

OK, obviously we can look at this on the bright side and say that I'm not standing outside battling the conditions and trying to keep the equipment dry.

Keep in mind -- and this is not a complaint -- that the audio equipment and computer are all mine. The camera is LocalLive's (and, by extension, Brunswick's).

So, yeah, there's a concern for keeping that all safe and working.

But it's also generally sort of miserable to battle the elements without cover while keeping a paper scorecard. Try keeping things covered, making sure it's all working, keeping the scorecard dry, and still call the game. It's a juggling act. Then again, it's better than not doing the game at all.

Regardless, this one isn't happening.

Obviously, I have weather stories galore when it comes to all sports. Snow, thunder and lightning, hail, hurricane threats, flooding, locusts, etc. Among baseball games, I recall the time Joe Early got a tent to put over us for a Brunswick game several years ago. OK, cool. 

Except the tent had a hole in it. Now, we knew the tent wasn't perfect but we thought we could mitigate the damage.

We did, to an extent. You know, you push the tent up to watch the water fall off the roof. But, ultimately, the puddling, er, ponding on top of the tent and the dripping coming inside was a bit much.

Still, I look back and laugh. We tried. And, for what it's worth, while I like the tent idea, try setting and breaking down a 10x10 tent alone. It's not easy. That's why I bought pods a few years ago. Those have been good but they're not very roomy.

So, with that, I'm home, watching the rain pour and listening to the wind howl. Thus, I'm writing early, just in case power and/or the internet go out.

And I have the Yankees on.

If only I had a radio show to do. I don't. "Doubleheader" gets the day off in favor of a Red Sox game. My only gripe there is I'd like a say as "sports director" but what do I know?

I'll not air my grievances, especially following a good conversation with my WGCH friends today. Lots to discuss there also.

Oh, and Cooperstown is getting closer to being a reality. The game between Stamford and McMahon is Monday, Apr 15 at 10 a.m. You will definitely be able to hear it on Robcasting. I'll add more details as we get closer.

And there's lacrosse tomorrow. Stay tuned. 

No comments: