Friday, March 15, 2024

Two More for the Right Reasons

 

Norwalk High School gym

Two more games are in the books for me.

Tonight was the FCIAC Freshman basketball games. The girls played first and the boys followed.

It's the third time I've called these and it's a volunteer effort. Spearheaded by Glen Colello, there is a DJ spinning music all night and a three-piece band playing at various breaks in the action.

Plus me. Or, tonight, us, as Chris Kaelin joined me for the call. I haven't worked with "Kato" in a few years so it was great to see him.

These are a different kind of broadcast and, frankly, a little bit of a different kind of game. They play 20-minute halves and players can't foul out. Defense is generally minimal, especially in the boys game.

The rosters weren't put in our hands until just before game time because confirmation was needed to make sure the players all showed up and, to that end, there were a few changes.

While I do get to call the play-by-play, it's also a showcase night for the coaches, players, and the conference so we work in a lot of interviews, specifically with coaches from the FCIAC.

That took us off of the "nuts and bolts" of play-by-play details. Admittedly, that's not easy for me since these are radio play-by-play calls where details matter but it's part of the adjustment of the evening.

The coaches love talking about their players and that's coverage I'm happy to give.

I think it all works just fine even if I'm being my own worst critic as I worry about the broadcast.

"Kato" begins making his way up to our spot

If you listened then you heard the band and the DJ, who kept up a running play-by-play of his own all night. That was a bit of an adjustment for me but the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

It's a night to shine a light on all of it and I'm thrilled to do that.

Glen was kind to include a picture of me and the Robcasting logo in the program, and that's certainly good for the coverage, but it's not about us at all.


With that, save for the Hudson Valley Vipers, the winter season is over.

I know that Connecticut will wrap up the basketball season tomorrow and Sunday at Mohegan Sun, while hockey wraps up early next week in Hamden.

We would be happy to jump on those state championship calls but our talents will be utilized elsewhere.

Then, as soon as we're back from Florida, it's onto Brunswick baseball and lacrosse.

Ah, yes, baseball.

I mean no disrespect to any other sport when I say this, but I got into play-by-play because of baseball. That's what I've wanted to talk about since I was old enough to talk. The fact that I developed the skill to carry all of these other sports has been a blessing.

I love the challenge of bringing them all to you.

But baseball will always be that first love.

Soon. Very.

But, tonight, I was happy to be at Norwalk High School.

No comments: