Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Back to It

 

Brunswick warms up

Today was the first full day back in Connecticut after our vacation.

We had to return the rental car and then I had to call a lacrosse game.

Things got back to normal pretty fast. I had laundry done and folded by the end of last night. More to the point, I slept some but, as usual, not great. 

By late morning, Sean and I were on the road to return the car to Stamford. Usually prepared, I screwed up by not bringing my copy of the contract with Budget. Ultimately, it didn't hurt things but it sort of made me feel foolish.

Whatever. We departed and no extra charges were added. We had that car for 11 days and it was a pleasure.

With that done, we jumped on a train and came back to Greenwich. 

Once Sean found out we could take a train, he wanted to join me. Both train stations were within walking distance so it was a win.

With that done, I prepared to call my first game in a week and a half.

I felt rusty. It felt like I hadn't done a game in a month.

But I was back at Brunswick, calling lacrosse for the Bruins as they hosted Radnot High School from Pennsylvania.

Cool fact: Radnor's boys basketball coach is Tim Smallwood, who played both football and basketball and Greenwich. I broadcast his games, including the night he joined the 1,000-point club in basketball. My broadcast partner was his father. 

So Tim came to Cosby Field to watch the game and stopped up to say hello at halftime. We were going to try to have me call a Radnor basketball game this past season but we're going to get that done in the future.

Otherwise, like I said, I felt tired and caked in rust on the air. There are some sports I think I can seamlessly jump back into (hello, baseball) but lacrosse isn't one of them. I needed to find my groove and I don't know if I found it today but I will.

Oh, and Brunswick won the game 11-5. They're 2-0 on the year.

One thing I will tell you is that I already miss the road. That's unusual, as I tend to like a day or two (or sometimes more) before being ready to get back in the car.

Not this time. I'd go again if I could.

What sticks with me about the drive to and from Florida was how it was the culmination of something I've wanted to do for a very long time. It was something I honestly never thought I'd do because it's just easier to fly.

And, to be honest, those kinds of long drives can be seriously overwhelming. It's easy to have a moment in which you think you've bit off more than you can chew.

Yet? We did it. I had one patch of exhaustion through South Carolina last Tuesday and if you've ever done that drive I guarantee you understand. It's a lot of lowland and not too much to see.

Also, Sean seemed to really enjoy the drive. Look, I didn't create a sports fan but he enjoys working in the business and attending games. I also didn't create a traveler just like my dad and me but he enjoyed life on the road. 

Sean's not going to prepare and study guidebooks and websites and make notes and spreadsheets* and whatever else I do.

*I track times and mileages in a notebook and put them into a spreadsheet and I enjoy it, thank you very much.

But he was interested in doing that drive again. Also, he was intrigued by the idea of driving straight through.

I've done OK. That many days together can be tough but we survived.

Next year is at least worth discussing.

*****

Former Sen. Joseph Lieberman

I wade into this with trepidation but here goes. 

Joseph Lieberman, U.S. Senator from Connecticut and 2000 Vice Presidential nominee, died today at the age of 82.

I admired Lieberman, mostly because of his ability to bring people together. While he ran with Al Gore on the Democratic ticket in 2000, Lieberman was considered strongly by John McCain as his running mate in 2008, despite McCain being a Republican.

That was Lieberman and I admire that fiercely.

I suppose that's the larger point I want to make tonight.

We need more Joe Lieberman's (and I suppose John McCain's) because they were people who weren't hung up on parties and sides.

And I suppose that's all I have to say about that.

Lieberman was also always a great guest on Imus in the Morning. He gave good answers on topics and had a sense of humor.

Farewell, Senator, and thank you.

No comments: