Sunday, March 24, 2024

A Final Drive Down the Fairway

 

The view across the Anclote River from
Capt. Jack's in Tarpon Springs

Today was our last full day in Florida.

We went down swinging, even if that swing was with a golf club.

Oh, we had breakfast and it was magnificent. But we also had tickets to the Valspar Championship golf tournament final round. It's played on the Copperhead Course at Innisbrook Resort and Golf Club.

As we drove towards Palm Harbor, I pulled into Trinity Memorial Gadens to visit the grave of George M. Steinbrenner. The Yankees owner is interred in a mausoleum just inside the main gate. We quickly paid our respects and moved on to Innisbrook. 

The Boss

Originally a club, my grandparents (and the great-grandparents of Kris and Sean) were charter members. That meant we frequently visited the club for Sunday brunch when we were in Florida.

And brunch was magnificent. It had to be as we were required to dress in our best for the appearance, while virtually everyone else was in tennis and golf attire.

A nearby golf pro shop was about the only other place of interest for the teenager of the 80s could be interested once brunch was consumed and talk turned to multiple cups of coffee. But, in that pro shop, my interest in golf was piqued.

That, and I could see some of the golf course from the windows of the restaurant.

And so being able to return to Innisbrook for the first time since 1986 was quite special. So much of it looked different but the vibe was the same. 

But this time I was walking on the golf course as opposed to being that 17-year-old looking from the windows of the clubhouse.


The course, needless to say, is rather large, and the action can be somewhat mundane for the non-golf fan (I give you Sean). We all enjoyed watching Xander Schauffele drain a long putt for par on the 12th hole. 

Kris's dad (my cousin Ron) worked his magic to get us into an arena where he was watching the fourth hole. We enjoyed refreshments and a slice of pizza before resuming our walk.

But if you've ever been to a golf tournament you know it can be a long day of walking, watching, standing, and maybe sitting. 

There are certainly corporate things to gaze at, though many require special tickets. We did get pictures taken with the Snake Pit statue and, for the first time in my 55 years of visiting Florida, I spotted an alligator.




Before leaving, we looked at the merchandise but nothing really spoke to me. If anything, I wanted something that reflected the resort as opposed to either the tournament or the golf course. I'm hoping we'll come back when the tournament isn't on for that kind of stuff. I know I had an Innisbrook shirt many years ago.

Instead, the three of us packed up and took the shuttle back to the car to head to dinner in Tarpon Springs, where we sat on an open tiki bar overlooking the Anclote River with the sponge docks across the way.

It felt like the right way to begin to wrap up this wonderful adventure.

Back at our home away from home, Sean and I took a last walk around the grounds before joining Kris and Lori to talk (and pick on me). We both talked about what this trip meant to each other. Sure, I'm ready to return to Connecticut because I miss a few things there (including that silly cat) but this region of Florida means so much to me.

And I can never explain it properly.

It's nostalgic. It absolutely is. To that end, I drove by my grandparents' house in Holiday and realized just how much things had changed. The house is the same, no question, but it needs some TLC. The whole neighborhood does.

But, still, there's enormous nostalgia here. There's also family here. Family that I'm close to.

There are so many things that make me happy here. I didn't even get to Howard Park in Tarpon Springs but it's OK. We ran out of time. But that's just one of the many things that tickles me. The Sponge Docks and John's Pass and going to sporting events and walking around Tampa and driving out to Orlando.

In truth, I don't need to explain why this region produces such joy for me. You either get it or you don't.

Alas, my alarm will go off tomorrow morning and we'll pull ourselves together. We'll say our goodbyes and hit the road.

Then North Carolina awaits.

Then The Cat awaits.

Then reality strikes again.

Today was a cherished finish to a cherished trip.

Thank you, Florida.

Until next time.

No comments: