Monday, March 25, 2024

Heading Home, Part One

 

All hail the mighty beaver!

Greetings from Stedman, North Carolina.

This is exactly where we were one week ago, heading south.

Today, we're heading north.

Tomorrow, the final 600 miles will speed by and we'll be back in Greenwich.

Back to life. Back to reality.

We got an early start out of Florida this morning and crossed into Georgia at 9:19 a.m.

I tried my best to savor every moment of the drive, just as I've tried to savor as much of the trip as possible.

We cruised through Georgia and were soon into South Carolina.

Probably our favorite town name (koo-saw-HATCH-ee)

Stops were kept to a minimum. After breakfast just a few minutes from Kris and Lori's, we went until I put gas in the car. We didn't stop again until 49 miles into Georgia. Then we went three hours until we pulled off at Buc-ee's in Florence, SC, where Sean and I both grabbed brisket sandwiches.

They were outstanding. We bow to our beaver overlord.

We were at my niece's by 3 p.m. and are now winding down, knowing an early alarm and a long road home await in the morning.

The emotions will be strong. I want to get home and there's no doubt about that. But there's the "end of vacation blues" that comes with the grind of those final miles. There will be traffic for sure. It was heavy today but it never stopped. Tomorrow I'm sure we'll hit some stops if we go anywhere near Washington, D.C.

Still, we'll try to continue to savor.

We know we're going to hit the ground running come Wednesday. I'll dive back into broadcasting games, with Brunswick lacrosse in action. Baseball and more will follow as the week goes along.

But it's important to live life. That's what I keep taking from these experiences. It's simply too short.

So I'm trying. I really am.

We've already begun talking about next year. Because, believe me, it's so tempting to go jump in the car and drive the final approximately nine hours.

I mentioned that in passing to Sean and he told me I was nuts.

That being said, we both talked about trying to do the whole drive in one shot next year. Will we? Who knows?

Let's get home first.

No comments: