Friday, March 22, 2024

Rainy Day

 

Taken in Ocala on Tuesday

Florida is a state that, generally speaking, you visit because you want to be outdoors.

That doesn't mean there aren't good shopping options and museums and other things that will get one inside, but the amusement parks and beaches are all in nature.

So when the weather turns ugly, the options change a bit.

Today was supposed to be a wall of rain. We had heard it would be one to two inches of precipitation but that didn't quite materialize.

As I write (after 8 p.m.) the rain has kicked back in but, otherwise, the storm turned and we didn't get the expected amount. I had some heavy rain during the overnight but that seemed to be the worst of it.

So, with the threat of rain, that meant adjusting. The beach wasn't realistic of course. The theme parks weren't either and, besides, they're pretty expensive.

None of the indoor options were working.

So we spent a chunk of the day around our home away from home.

Eventually, we went into downtown Tampa to walk around.

In truth, I've never known much about Tampa itself. Oh, sure, I know Steinbrenner Field and Raymond James Stadium and things like that but I really didn't know the downtown area at all.

I've always heard about Ybor City, but that's more of a restaurant/bar area and the three of us weren't looking for that.

So we opted to stay closer to the home of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Amalie Arena.

We found parking and took off on the Tampa Riverwalk before finishing at Sparkman Wharf, which has some shopping and dining options.

However, we had dinner plans so we took note of everything and committed to coming back one day.

Admittedly, I'm not good at being inactive on vacation unless I have to. Thus I was happy to get out and take the walk before returning to meet up with family for dinner.

After dinner, we treated ourselves to some ice cream and are now beginning to settle down.

We have two full days remaining here in Florida before our scheduled departure on Monday morning.

*****

(Screenshot from video posted on social media)

Despite the love of travel, the real world carries on. With that said, I wanted to share a note of support to Catherine, Princess of Wales. Princess Kate hasn't been seen in some time and there was the thing with a picture that was apparently edited.

To be honest, I hadn't been paying close attention.

But today she posted a video to announce that she has been battling cancer and while the video is upbeat in that she "is well and getting stronger every day." To that, I say bravo but I also hope it is true.

I'm no expert when it comes to the Royal Family but I have a healthy regard and respect for them. Princess Kate has always struck me as extremely likable. Regardless of likability, she is a mother and a wife and worthy of respect and compassion. Also, she is only 42 years old though cancer pays little attention to such things.

But what I'm trying to say is that I hope for a speedy recovery for her. I know there is the scrutiny of her subjects, social media, and the press. I think she handles all of it with grace, much in the same way her mother-in-law once did.

Speedy recovery, your Royal Highness.

No comments: