Wednesday, March 06, 2024

The Homer Homer

 

Not this Homer (Photo: FOX)

* First, I appreciate the kind words from yesterday's post. I don't believe in announcing my departure a la an airplane but the grind of the posts and, sometimes, lack of response makes me wonder if this exercise has run its course. I didn't plan to leave completely but wondered if maybe it was time to just take a day off. I'm grateful for the words but it wasn't a plea for attention either. Many thanks.

I saw a post in one of the groups I belong to with a video of a broadcaster calling a home run.

I've done the in-booth camera thing and I'm cautious about it. To me, it's a way to get the audio of the call to another audience without violating any video agreements. But it's not about me.

The broadcaster in this case was doing fist pumps and high-fiving people in the next booth.

That's his style and that's great. He's broadcasting for a particular team, school, or group and he prefers to go the full bias route. He knows what his employers and audience want.

They're not wrong, of course.

Stylistically, it's not for me. It's not beneath me but I'm very careful about that. It's a fine line and, believe me, I've been to many postgame events with fans in my career. Even then I avoid having a rooting interest.

But high-fiving people in the booth when the team does well? Fist-pumping? 

Generally, no. 

For those who want to say that I'm *clears throat* "AP Style" (that is to say: boring) I hardly think I'm that.

I love, love, love scoring plays, regardless of whom. 

I bring passion and energy. At least, I hope I do.

And I understand context. I remember the last game of the 2021 Renegades season, I called a home run for the Greensboro Grasshoppers and I remember it was completely flat.

I was mad at myself. I played off the crowd, who were down, and allowed that to impact me. In that moment, I feared I sounded like a homer for the Renegades.

And, look, I was working for them, so fair enough. But I still shouldn't sound like it personally offended me. It didn't.

The player, the Grasshoppers, and their fans deserved better in that moment. Then again, they clinched a playoff spot the night before and I thought I took pretty good care of them. In fact, I expected Renegades fans to be mad at me for that call.

Maybe they were.

But that's the integrity I put into this.

Look, I don't have the answers. I think I know what it takes to do a professional broadcast but that doesn't mean I'm right. I certainly have no high horse or pulpit on this stuff.

I have an opinion. At times, a strong one.

But I don't consider myself to be lord and ruler of this stuff. I also accept and embrace conversation on it.

I don't just delete years of conversations and recommendations before blocking on all accounts. I think I'm better than that, actually.

My feeling as a team broadcaster is to respect the other team's fans (as in that example with the Grasshoppers) and give every call energy.

The only time you'll catch people high-fiving in a booth of mine is before airtime as a sign of encouragement. Maybe, after a call that someone liked or after we get off the air.

Again, there are exceptions.

But there's a professionalism and integrity that I believe in. It's a personal thing for me.

It's not being some old fossil but it is honoring those who came before me in this business.

Remember, I've never had a true mentor. My mentors were those I grew up watching. Especially Vin Scully. 

So I learned from him and gleaned what I felt worked for me.

Then, as he learned from Red Barber, I made sure that I was myself.

High-fiving and fist-pumping because someone made a good play isn't me bring me.

Then again, like Scully, I work alone a lot. Thus I'd look pretty weird high-fiving myself.

Speaking of working, I'm back in the saddle again today. I needed a few days to not do the grind of a game broadcast as my throat felt a little raw on Sunday. It even sounded a little off yesterday during a podcast recording session. 

Ultimately, I passed on two broadcasts in New Jersey to rest up and honor a commitment to go out last night. 

Now, I'm back with a challenge.

First is a New York state playoff game in Yorktown Heights. Admittedly, I thought my face might be plastered in the post office as I once spent too much time there. If you don't know, my ex is from there.

But I have a 3:30 game on NFHS calling Haldane and Millbrook basketball in a playoff contest.

Then, ready?

I have to get to Trumbull High School by 6:30 for Fairfield Warde and the Eagles in a Connecticut first round game.

The odds are meh but I'll take the chance because I have support. Jeff Alterman will have his TEN Network ready to go and Mike Buswell will be along as well. The two of them will start the broadcast if I'm not there on time.

As soon I show up, I'll plug in and get Robcasting cooking. I'll take over play-by-play and Jeff is going to rove to do interviews.

It should be a good production all around.

But first, I have to record an interview in a few minutes.

Then a podcast tomorrow.

Then two games in the Bronx on Friday.

Then hockey in New Jersey on Saturday.

There will be no fist-pumping.

Vacation is coming.

Honest.

No comments: