Tuesday, March 19, 2024

End of the Road For Now

 

I love the smell of Buc-ee's in the morning

The time was 10:39 a.m. on Mar 19, 2024.

It was a sunny Tuesday even if the temperature was chilly for the time of year.

It was in the low 50s as we crossed the St. Mary's River.

For the first time in almost 35 years, I had driven to Florida.

Waves of memories went through my mind in that moment on I-95.

Thoughts of a silver Chevy Impala and turning the radio dial looking for a decent station.

Thoughts of being thankful to reach that point combined with the reality that roughly another four hours awaited before reaching our ultimate destination.

But, first, it was the thought of taking a picture -- something we didn't do in 1989 or any other drive before that.

After that, we pulled off to the welcome center, where I calmly got out of the car. Sean followed, likely assuming I wanted a restroom break and a chance to add to my map collection.

Yes, all of that was true. But, in reality, it was a mild surprise for Sean.

"Walk straight in," I said, as I held the door open.

In the welcome center stood a nice lady between several orange and grapefruit juice dispensers. She smiled and welcomed us to Florida, offering each of us a sample of Sean's nectar of the gods.

He had a broad smile on his face. Even with what was basically a double shot of OJ, he was thrilled.

Indeed, four hours later, our drive was complete.

Hanging with Forrest Gump at the 
Georgia Welcome Center. He didn't offer
me any chocolates.

With stops included, we drove just over 1,200 miles. Each day's drive -- again, with stops -- was nine hours and thirty-five minutes.

So, basically 19 hours.

We didn't rush our breaks, allowing us a half-hour this morning at Buc-ee's, for instance. But we also just go.

We'll stop if needed but, generally, we don't need. 

As with yesterday, we made three stops that were basically for the restroom and food. Except today we added a car wash break.

The pollen in North Carolina was so intense that our car was green when we drove away this morning.

So we pulled into a little car wash in Ocala, FL and got cleaned up.

While much has changed since I last made this drive, one truth remains solid: South Carolina is a long three hours on I-95.

I stayed awake but it wasn't easy. 

And U.S. 301 from Interstate 10 down to Ocala is a grind.


As we crossed into Florida, I found myself feeling amazed that we had done this.

For 35 years, I've said I've wanted to do the drive again but never really thought it would happen. 

Sure, there are always best-laid plans and all, but I just thought it was a pipe dream. Besides, why not just fly?

But we did it. And Sean was a champ. As always, the right companion.

However, let's not overdo the excitement.

We still have to drive home next week.

This is the exit we used to go to my grandparents.
Today, we went another 10 miles


No comments: