Saturday, March 16, 2024

Behind the Scenes

 

Yup. Hockey.

The Vipers have just finished a 14-4 win.

Yes, that's a hockey score.

I'm sitting in the rink while players meet fans and families.

The drive will follow as I've already packed up.

My throat hurts, my voice is tired, and the drive will be a drag.

But I spent most of the day in the mighty Hudson Valley.

Stop one was with my road friends -- Dan, Laura, Connor, and Doug, plus Laura's daughter Rainey.

I hung out with them as they prepared for a presentation on YouTube about Austin, TX.

I don't have much to add about Austin but I'm sure I could have survived had they asked me to talk. At the very least, I'm a decent moderator at that point.

But I hung out and watched the preparation of PowerPoints and pictures.

Plus there was food, with Doug making meatballs, wings, and corned beef and cabbage. It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow after all.

They're good people --  all of them -- and I like being that fly on the wall as we talked and laughed.

We road types talk about more than just, you know, roads. OK, sure, we talk bridges and other infrastructure items, but we also talk sports, kids (Rainey is too cute, and she was climbing all over me), and life in general. Plus Dan's a big Beatles fan with an impressive collection of music.

Including things I don't own. Yes, I'm a touch jealous, but he'll be on "Meet the Beatles" eventually.

I left them and made my way to Poughkeepsie in plenty of time for puck drop.

Kris, Logan, and Danny were among those in the crowd who joined me.

Fun times as the Vipers poured the goals in the net and the penalties in the box.

There were numerous fights and, let's be honest, fans love that stuff.

Me? It's fun but it also adds to the length of the broadcast.

Which is now complete.

I have to get home and get at least a little sleep.

Tomorrow is a big day with "Meet the Beatles" live at 9 a.m. plus a recorded version to play next Sunday and laundry, packing, shopping, etc.

Time to go.

No comments: