Monday, March 11, 2024

The Kettle is Boiling


 

There comes a point where I run out of patience.

I'm there.

So this is your post that you most likely won't read today.

I'll focus on a good basketball game between Waterford and Ludlowe coming up at 6:30. Listen live on Robcasting.

*****

I mean, seriously. I just read that Deadspin --  the sports blog founded in 2005 that has changed hands a few times since -- was just sold and no current staff is being retained.

I hate seeing people lose their jobs.

But in our usual rush to judgment (and clout chasing) a recent retweet indicated that staffers were given 30 minutes warning that they were losing their jobs.

I mean, I'm sorry, but this happens and happens more than you know.

In 2001, I was called into my boss's office for a friendly meeting in the afternoon.

With a smile, he told me I was being cut.

I walked out and found my computer turned off.

I packed up and left.

I have other stories that are similar to that. There was also the time that there was an email about a staff meeting that I and several others weren't on.

Those of us not on that distribution were brought into a conference room and laid off.

It's awful but it's not uncommon.

So, yeah, that's where I am today. 

I'll focus on basketball.

No comments: