Saturday, March 02, 2024

The Late Post Before the Drive

 

Game 2: The Vipers win.
Team president Pat Manning applauds near the open doors.

From the parking lot of McDonald's on NY Route 55 in Freedom Plains, NY, it's Late at Night Blogging with Rob!

I did two more games today. I wrestled with the second one but hanging out with family and still doing a game seems like a plus.

We were out the door at 9:30 this morning. The first stop was at WGCH where Sean works doing production every Saturday.

He didn't need much time, so I did some game prep while he worked.

Then we were back at it, dealing with rain as we drove into New Jersey.

Yes, of course, we had Wawa.

Twice.

Breakfast before the game and lunch after.

Colonia High School was the game site the home team got the win today.

The not-so-easy part was getting into the high school as I had to speak to three different people and promise them my next of kin before they would allow me in.

Game 1: Colonia High School, NJ

Oh, they were fine. Really polite and triple-checking that we belonged since the game was a sellout.

That it was. It got crowded.

We were shoulder-to-shoulder in the crowd but there were no issues. We worked. They cheered.

We packed up and left.

We dealt with heavy rain as we made our way home. In fact, we wound up on the Palisades Interstate Parkway and the fog rolled in to add to the challenge of the drive.

The next stop was back to Greenwich to drop Sean off. I made a late effort to see if he'd like to take a drive to Poughkeepsie and he elected to pass. He'd had enough sports broadcasts for one day.

My cousin Kris and grandson Logan were heading to the Vipers game against the Norfolk Mallards, so I'd see them there.

The rain remained steady and heavy as I climbed I-684.

And I-84.

And the Taconic State Parkway.

Normally I wouldn't be comfortable with showing up 33 minutes before game time but the Vipers knew these were the terms for me today.

I went to the parking garage I normally park in ... and it was full.

I mean, stuffed.

So I worked my way around the phalanx of streets (not really) to get to the larger garage across the street. Parking was free which was nice.

I calmly walked across the hell known as Market Street (the Family Court I visited many times was on that street) and made it into the arena.

I tracked down team president Pat Manning who quickly found someone to tell me where to set up as it had changed slightly.

I mean, literally. Like six feet to the left of where I used to sit.

A few hours later, the game ended with the Vipers picking up a 4-1 win.

Now, I'm sitting in a McDonald's parking lot to keep a ridiculous streak alive before I drive home.

Why do I do it? Well, family, sure. Opportunity, sure. Even making sure nobody jumps in my place.

But it's also to fight the loneliness and whatever other demons that circle the drain.

And so I keep plugging away, starting March just as chaotic as February was.

It will calm down. I promise.

Another day is over. Almost.

The Vipers play again tomorrow.

I'm not planning on going.

For now.

It's time to drive.

No comments: