Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Is It Just Time?

 


I'm trying, folks.

Every day for the past five-plus years, I've sat down and scribbled roughly 500 words of gobbledegook in the hopes that readers enjoy it. 

When I've crashed into the wall known as writer's block a few close to me have urged me to keep going.

And I have. I have to the point where I've sat in parking lots and adjusted days to make sure I carved out a few minutes to write.

I've tried hard to not cheat, at least based on my standards. Some of you might think I already have and so be it.

But I also know I've recycled topics and talked about sports broadcasting until the point of it being more overplayed than "Jack and Diane."

I'm sitting here with a few minutes before running to the next thing and the only thing on my mind is that we are almost to the fourth anniversary of things shutting down due to a virus.

Even that I walk with carefully for fear of it turning into "vaccines and masks were a joke" political commentary (aka "nonsense").

I got the vaccines. I wore the masks as needed. I have no regrets. It seemed like the right thing. To you, it might not have been. OK, cool.

But my COVID shutdown story includes game broadcasts (because of course), my mother, "The Clubhouse," and a creepy empty Stamford, CT. 

Haven't I told that already? Does anyone want to hear about it again?

And, sure, I'm finalizing probably at least two baseball tournaments in July. Well, those stories can also wait until July!

I realize I'm loaded with stories but my brain is always arguing over what's interesting, what's not, and what's just obnoxious. Does anyone want to hear the same social media breakdown stories about narcissism, hypocrisy, enabling, and 100,000 pictures of the same kid?

For the record, that is neither me or Sean. In fact, I post enough about Sean and, because of that, didn't even mention him on "National Son's Day" yesterday.

There are also topics that draw nobody to the site. Sadly, writing about things like roads, the Yankees, and promising broadcasters bring minimal reads. Yesterday's post -- about a dog! -- drew nothing.

It's not a failure to just call it a day. 

Yes, this has been a pretty good habit to have but I'm never happy when I know it's 500 words of nothing that I don't feel that good about.

I can only write about my schedule so many times. I was offered two games today and turned them down for reasons including my throat being a little raw. Then again, I have two more tomorrow and a podcast on Thursday (and another one this morning) and two more games on Friday and another on Saturday.

Now, Friday? I can see that being a post, especially given I'm calling the games from Fordham. If you don't know, that's where Vin Scully went to college. So, yeah, that's sort of important.

But otherwise? Probably not.

I've carried my computer to London, San Francisco, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Florida to stay on top of this schedule. In all likelihood, I'm bringing it with me to Florida in two weeks.

In other words, I've brought it everywhere because my iPad just isn't sufficient to write a blog on.

But it's also possible it's just time to stop. 

Take a break.

Know when to say when.

For now, I'm here.

But, for how much longer?

No comments: