Sunday, March 31, 2024

Easter 2024

 

(Photo: AP)

Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

Ultimately, things didn't quite work out as expected for me but it's fine.

Sadly, holidays just don't hold a lot for me for a bunch of reasons.

So, in taking stock of the day, I note the 4-0 start that the Yankees are off to. Winning, it has been said, is better than losing. It's hard to argue with that logic. 

Sweeping the Houston Astros -- no introduction necessary -- is certainly sweet.

But, without splashing cold water on this, allow me to at least be realistic.

It's four games -- four -- in March.

Can we hold the celebration until it really counts? 

Context matters a lot to me. Four games in March are wonderful but there are 158 to play still. Obviously, the games will mean more as the season goes along but a four game sweep in October would be best.

You know, like the Astros did to the Yankees in the 2022 ALCS.

But, weeding through everything, it's great to see this team showing heart. One of the hallmarks of the championship teams was their ability to never give up when down. Just consider the teams of the 90s and 2000s. I mean, think about the 2001 World Series alone, when they tied games on consecutive nights with dramatic home runs from Tino Martinez and Scott Brosius.

This team found themselves down or tied in each game and used a late rally to get the win. They also had two-out hits, such as today's clutch single from Juan Soto in the ninth inning.

Oh, I know it's just four games, but these are signs that are greatly appreciated. Pitching has been decent and the offense has threatened more than they did last year.

Still, health is a concern. Gerrit Cole is injured and so is DJ LeMahieu. 

But this is a fanbase who is hungry for a World Series, having last been to one in 2009.

I know, fans are spoiled. Mets fans have no pity for Yankees fans, nor should they.

But in Yankees Universe, 2009 to 2024 is a long time, up there with 1903 to 1921, 1964 to 1976, and 1978 to 1995.

Across town, there's a different emotion in play. The Mets lost all three games to the Brewers this weekend and looked lifeless at times, though they rallied before losing 7-6.

They also had a few skirmishes with Milwaukee, the result of a slide that second basemen Jeff McNeil found disagreeable.

I thought the slide was fine for what it's worth (not much).

The Mets will figure things out but they seem to understand it might be a long year.

As always, it will be an interesting summer around New York baseball and we're just getting started.

As for Shohei Ohtani, I still have questions and am very suspicious.

*****

Larry Desantis (ABC News)

I've continued to watch the news about the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge near Baltimore and have been amused (to keep me from getting annoyed) by the amount of conjecture. Conspiracy theories and overreactions have abounded.

Everyone is an expert. Except me.

That aside, I've been expecting the human interest side of the story to emerge and I saw a brilliant one today. One topic I wondered about was drivers on the bridge before it collapsed.

Wonder no more. Abby Zimmardi and Jessica Gallagher of The Baltimore Banner wrote the story of Larry Desantis, who used the bridge to commute between two jobs. He finished crossing at 1:27 a.m.

The Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed roughly a minute later.

Zimmardi and Gallagher showed the best of local journalism, developing the idea and doing diligent research before writing a compelling story.

It's the very thing that I used to watch Susan and my friends at HAN do. Heck, I tried to do it myself.

Local journalism -- good local journalists -- still matter and still exist. They're the ones who still have some integrity. 

Zimmardi and Gallagher told us all about Mr. Desantis, who will forever live with the knowledge of his drive between his two jobs.

The story -- read it here -- is wonderful.

No comments: