Sunday, March 03, 2024

Admitting it is the First Step

Getting to Use a top-line Sennheiser headset Friday night
in New Providence, NJ. It's the little things that make me happy.

OK, friends, at the subtle behest of a few loved ones, I took a break today.

I loved the last five days with seven games over that stretch. As you might know, that doesn't even approach my record. Babe Ruth baseball tournaments* take care of that.

*Please note that we're looking at a Cal Ripken baseball and a Babe Ruth baseball tournament this summer. They're basically both confirmed so expect another nutty July.

I loved the challenge of getting from place to place and presenting the best broadcast I could for the audience.

But I realized that I was hitting a wall last night as I sat in the parking lot of a McDonald's near Poughkeepsie.

So I got home and almost slept (thanks, cat) before going to WGCH to host "Meet the Beatles."

Today's show topic was a suggestion and I appreciate the challenge of digging into the deep relationship between John and Paul.

In the end, they were brothers, and that gets complicated.

They could create masterpieces whether they wrote them together or not. But they still contributed to each other's work. They still challenged one another.

But then it turned ugly, mostly thanks to exhaustion with being Beatles as well as bad business decisions.

So Paul wrote "Too Many People" and John wrote "How Do You Sleep" and George wrote "Wah Wah" and Ringo did "Back Off Boogaloo." Oh, and there were others ("Dear Friend," "God," "Sue Me Sue You Blues," etc).

But I felt the complexity of the relationship meant playing some other things to show the musical partnership as well as things that explained their bond. And even a wild card like "Silly Love Songs," which was meant as a dig at Paul's critics, especially John.

Indeed, that song is arguably Paul's most divisive one. To me, it has a killer bass line and a pretty decent message. I mean, what's wrong with that?

Others, of course, see it as 1970s dreck. 

Once the show was over, I finished editing and uploading it to the archive before coming home.

Somehow I thought we'd go back out.

Nope. We ordered in and hung out. Sean did his thing all day, talking to his friends, and I kept to myself.

I went outside to get the food from the driver.

For the record, I'm not a good couch potato.

I don't find much to like on TV these days, opting for things on YouTube and reruns of The Office.

And sports, of course. I did watch the Yankees play a lackluster spring training game as opposed to listening to Gus Johnson scream his way through the Ohio State/Iowa game.

But I sort of don't feel like talking about sports broadcasting today. Believe me, I have a ton to say, but nah.

I checked out today. The Vipers played again today and I felt the pull.

It's not unfair to call it an addiction but I've also explained why doing every game I can means so much to me.

Right now, I'm off for the next stretch. It's possible I'll do a state basketball game this week and I do have a hockey game in New Jersey next Saturday.

Then there's freshman basketball and more Vipers action in a few weeks.

Then Sean and I are going away and Brunswick will be playing when I get back.

Yeah, I love it too much.

I probably have a problem.

No comments: