Saturday, March 23, 2024

The Disney Conundrum

 

I felt like I lost money driving under this sign

There are times that I feel I've failed as a father.

My child, for instance, has never been to Walt Disney World.

Until today, that is.

Now, hold on. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We didn't go into any of the parks. We didn't step on one ride or have churros in the shape of mouse ears.

We elected to only go to Disney Springs, the shopping, eating, and entertainment complex.

And "we" was the father/son combo.

Now, understand that I was never one to "keep up with the Jones" if you will. I didn't care what the other families did or any kind of economic pressure.

In fact, it was economic pressure of another kind that kept us from going to Disney World, or Florida for that matter. I couldn't afford it.

Sadly, it just never happened.

I will say that Sean also never pushed to go to Disney World.

But, until today, he had never been.

We talked a lot about going for a day this year. Ultimately, he decided that the ticket price was too steep.

I mean, a ticket to any one park was $180 today? So, if you're doing the math, Dad gets to drop $381 (with taxes) for two tickets.

Ultimately, the theme parks were ruled out for this trip.

Side note: Amusement parks should have a "visitor only" option that allows a guest to come in and not go on any rides but just guests to visit. I'm still going to visit the gift shops and restaurants. I mean, common sense isn't common.

But I thought Disney Springs would give Sean a chance to get to Orlando and catch a sense of the Disney buzz.

I was right.

We scuffled through traffic out Interstate 4 and grabbed parking (shockingly free). 


In truth, Disney took very little of our money. Intrigued by the Coca-Cola Store, we went to their rooftop beverage bar where I had a glass bottle of Coke. Sean, not a carbonated drinker, fetched a grape drink from their fountain.

An inexpensive T-shirt later, we moved on.

We mostly walked around, visiting the two Star Wars stores (I do NOT need Star Wars mouse ears) and the large World of Disney store (Sean declined to wear mouse ears for his father).

We strolled through some other stores as I regaled him with stories of visits when I came with my family as far back as 1971.


We watched vintage amphicars take guests on a 20-minute tour ($125, thank you very much) and a performer move around on a mobile piano. I admired her talent and gusto. It takes a special kind of person to grind like that, hoping for whatever opportunity comes from moving a moving piano at Disney Springs.

Most of all, it had a feeling of Disney World without being in the theme parks.

Look, I have very mixed feelings when it comes to Disney. On the one hand, their greed (yes, I know it's a business) borders on astounding. The feel-good that came from being a kid at Walt's utopia in the 70s is largely gone when seen through a jaded eye.

On the other hand, watch a little kid (or become a little kid) and it all crystallizes. I felt something in my heart with each glance of Mickey Mouse -- returning to being a child, when I had (and still have in my attic) a stuffed Mickey.

Heck, I still have a Mickey Mouse watch that I bought years ago. It just sits in a box.

So when I saw a Walt Disney World T-shirt with a classic Mickey Mouse on it, I smiled.

Then I decided I didn't want it for $34. Besides, it's not going anywhere.

As we left Disney Springs, I drove a bit of the grounds to see if Sean could get more of a feeling.

You bet I got my picture taken with the Coca-Cola 
Polar Bear! 

If anything, it was more nostalgic for me, remembering visiting when I was a kid.

Or remembering playing on the Fantasia mini golf course.

Sean, never one to voice what he's feeling, laid mostly low on the topic.

But back with Kris and Lori, we grabbed dinner and ice cream before coming home.

"So did today give you your fill of Disney or do you want to go back?" I asked.

"Oh, I definitely want to go back," he said.

Save your money, Sean. We can go next year.

Though jaded, you'll never forget it.

No comments: