Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Wednesday. That's the title.

 


OK, we should probably start with that picture. Assuming you can see it (these blog sites often have media just disappear) it's a chiefs car and a fire truck, both courtesy of the Mahopac Falls Volunteer Fire Dept. A Carmel police car and other fire apparatus are out of view.

Flashback a few minutes earlier to a phone conversation. It was clear something was up with the stove in the house, so I called the propane company. I explained the problem.

"OK, so after you get off the phone, you and anyone in the house are to evacuate and call 911. Do not light any matches or open flames. After the fire department gives the 'all clear' you can call us back and we'll get a technician out to you."

The statement was made so calmly that I considered jumping in the shower. Then I did that slow-turning..."WHHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTT?"

I got dressed and pondered Rascal. He looked at me from the bed, unfazed, except for wanting attention. It seemed to put him in a case would cause unnecessary stress and, from what I gathered, we were in no real harm.

It was just that -- well -- the house smelled. So I opened windows to air it out, petted him, called 911, and began loading things in my car when a police car drove up.

I told him the cat scenario and his reaction was, basically, "Do you think he'll run or bite?" I laughed and said he'll sniff or hide. No danger otherwise.

"Nah, he's fine."

The fire department assuaged any embarrassment.

"You did the right thing," I was told. "Your tank is empty so the remaining propane purged out. But you smelled it so calling us was the right thing to do."

They were all gone quickly, with barely time for a "thank you" or any other discussion. Still I waved and thanked them from a distance.

For what it's worth, I respect fire and police. I mean no controversy in that statement.

I petted Rascal to tell him all was well, gave him some treats, and called the propane company back. A quick phone call from a concerned neighbor later and I was onto that shower. 

The technician showed up, reset everything, put some propane in the tank and we were all on our way.

Yes, that was just the beginning of the day because there was still a trip to Dutchess Stadium. I made a quick sandwich, grabbed a seltzer, and jumped in the car. There was a radio test to be done.

Wanted: Some TLC. See home radio booth.

It took five minutes. I set up a mixer, a headset, and my computer. I went to a website and listened to some music. I heard the sound change and a voice come on. It was Chris Marino, Senior Vice President of Programming/Hudson Valley for iHeart Poughkeepsie as well as an on-air talent. He confirmed he could hear me and I confirmed I could hear him. We each said the other sounded great. We made a tweak in the levels from me, thanked each other, and said we'd set up a meeting to go over the details for the broadcasts.

I could have gone back home then, but what fun would that be?

Oh, I failed to mention that we also determined that I will work in the home radio booth since a few teams have toyed with sending visiting radio (though I'm growing more skeptical of that also). But Zach Neubauer and I both determined that the home booth would be good for me and we could likely put Sean in my booth as a camera operator.

Still the booth was a mess and you probably know I don't love that. So I did some cleaning and organizing and plotting what I need (a corkboard and a small light). For those who care about such things, it is not air-conditioned. There are two small fans and no game is starting earlier than late afternoon.

And the booth needs to be swept out and wiped down. The chair that I used had thick dust on it from at least since last August (by me for the Bottom of the 9th Tournament). I don't recall if I sat in that chair so it might have last been used in Oct, 2019.

So Zach and I set about how we want the audio to run. He is thinking along the exact same lines as I am. He wants a better crowd mic and audio from Rick Zolzer's PA system to run not just through my mixing board but through a board that he'll use for the web stream.

To that end, to answer a continued question, either get the MiLB app or go to hvrenengades.com to watch and/or listen to the broadcasts.

At one point, I was standing on a table with my head through the ceiling, figuring out where wires and cables were running to and from. So, you want to work in baseball?

I wasn't dressed appropriately for the work (khakis, button-down shirt) but it was glorious.

It was a little after 3:30 when Zach seemed to think everything was done with us. That's when I decided that, sure, I'll do "Doubleheader" and Zach should be a guest! I had the presence of mind to ask Zach for some -- ugh -- "branding" and damned if he didn't get me a home and away jersey to show off as well as a couple of hats.


It all went fine and dandy...until workers began messing with the internet. We lost the last ten minutes of the show.

So, I'm done, right? Wrong! President/G.M. Steve Gliner emailed me to ask for changes to the roster. So I visited him, chatted, return the jerseys and hats (he told me he could get me a deal on a jersey if I want one), and set about updating the roster. I told him I'd head back to the booth.

I was meticulous again. I checked each name and pertinent item. I formatted. I made it look pretty.

I emailed it back to Steve and packed up. I grabbed my large Pelican case of equipment and my briefcase and began to head down.

As of now, two mixers of mine, a microphone, and various cables have been contributed to the cause and currently reside at Dutchess Stadium. They would not leave last night.

Looking a little better

I almost didn't leave either, as I found all gates had been locked.

I texted Zach: "So guess who's trying to figure out how to get out of the stadium?"

He was in his office and quickly retrieved me through the team store door.

I went home, hungry and late for a date with game number one as the Gades played Jersey Shore. I won't even get into the fact that the video feed on MiLB.TV didn't work for me so I had to listen to the whole game.

Have I mentioned I'm not great at listening to other broadcasters? Especially games I think I should be broadcasting? Let's leave that right there.

The Gades lost 6-2 and I wrote a game story that I hoped was sufficient for having listened to it and followed it on the internet.

Oh, and the Yankees threw the Astros in a garbage can. Or something like that as I had that on in the background.

Today, chaos breaks this afternoon. I have Brunswick baseball at 4:30. They'd love for me to call their lacrosse game at 5:15 but I have "The Clubhouse" at 7pm. Plus I have to keep an eye on the Gades and write the game story. 

The moral of all of this is that something will probably have to give. I'm trying to keep the blog going and I hope you understand if all I post some nights are a link to the game story and a quick hello. Gripe as I might, I appreciate the habit of taking a little time to spit some words out.

I'd prefer all of this to happen without a visit from the fire department.

No comments: