Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Good nerves

 


It was Oct 17, 2019. That's 572 days ago, in case you're wondering.

Finally. The day has arrived.

It's Opening Night for the Hudson Valley Renegades.

I've gone through every emotion possible since then. In fact, I've gone through them probably a dozen times.

The pure joy is getting the opportunity. The anxiousness of that first offseason. The despair of the pandemic. The worry that the day might never happen. The shock of becoming a Yankees affiliate. 

I'll be nervous tonight. You bet I will. Even though I've got plenty of Gades calls under my belt, this is different.

Now it's real. It was someone else's booth those other times, even when I was filling in.

Tonight, the booth is mine.

I've written about these nerves before and have even had someone argue with me about them.

Sure. OK. What's there to argue about? Being nervous means I care about the quality of the product and that I'm humble enough to know that I'm lucky to be here.

It's more than acceptable to be nervous. I want everything to be perfect. Unattainable? Probably, at least in my mind, but it's still what I shoot for.

So, yes, I'm nervous. In a good way.

I want listeners and viewers to feel proud that I'm their broadcaster. Just as I've wanted that from Greenwich, Brunswick, the FCIAC, Mahopac, and literally anywhere else.

So there will likely be a pep talk somewhere along the line. It will be a reminder that I'm here for a reason. It happens before the beginning of most seasons and larger games/events.

There could even be a pep talk from my son. It wouldn't surprise me.

I've been getting well-wishes all morning from people that I care about. My day started with a text that read, "Today's the day!"

Sean and I will head to the ballpark around 3:00. Sadly, if he wants to ride with Dad, then he has to hang out. I'll try to do "Doubleheader" from there. There will be lineups to write out and final booth adjustments to make.

I interviewed Gades' manager Dan Fiorito this morning and asked him if he'll take a moment to take it all in. Well, nobody asked me, but I'll tell you.

Yes, I will. Once I think things are heading in the right direction, I'll make sure to eat some dinner. I'll watch the fans find their seats. I'll stand behind the booth and watch people milling about below.

I'll do everything I can to relax.

It's been a long road. It's been my road and my story. There's a reason for it.

But tonight, I'll think of everyone who has supported me. I'll think of all of the broadcasters before me. I'll think of Vin. I'll think about my parents.

I'll remind myself I know what I'm doing. It's just baseball. It's just a broadcast.

I'll take a deep breath.

And I'll start to talk.


Listen to tonight's game and every home game on Z93 radio (93.3 FM). All radio broadcasts will begin with a brief pregame show (five minutes before first pitch). Online, you can watch the games on MiLB.tv (subscription required) and you can listen to the games on MiLB.com. Our own Gades-specific audio link is here.


No comments: