Thursday, May 20, 2021

Today was a good day


Today was a good day.

There was nothing special about it. Well, maybe not to you.

But, to me, it was fun and laughter and love.

There was no heavy lifting. It was just a good day.

There was a good lunch.

There was calling basketball in May. A little different? Sure. But it was still a good thing.

The game brought me down into White Plains, which is very much an area at the foundation of my father's family.

He was born in Hartsdale and his parents were both products of central and lower Westchester County.

I also worked in White Plains and lower Westchester for years.

Those were times when I was young and dumb (dumber than I am now if you can believe that). I was naive and easily bullied and wow I really could write a book.

But the game also had me close enough to Mamaroneck, meaning I could visit my holy land of Sal's Pizza. 

Yup. It's still great.

I reflected on all of it as I drove home. I thought about the game and the pizza and the love and the music that was playing on the radio.

I looked at the building I used to work in when I was in White Plains. It's gated now so one can't just drive into the parking lot anymore.

Time marches on. That's how it goes.

I found myself wanting to finish the day sitting near a fire, sipping a beverage, and having a deep conversation about music. Just engaging my mind and not caring about debate.

The day finished up with some baseball as I watched the Renegades beat Brooklyn.

Plus the Yankees played earlier today and won.

And there was still the buzz of Corey Kulber from last night, hurling the 12th no-hitter (postseason included) in the history of the Yankees.

I could go on about that and why I still think it's significant. I could also go on about how I'm still in shock over it.

George Mogridge and Sad Sam Jones and Monte Pearson and Allie Reynolds (twice) and Don Larsen and Dave Righetti and Jim Abbott and Dwight Gooden and David Wells and David Cone...and Corey Kuber.

Pretty cool.

Yes, today was a good day.

No comments: