Saturday, May 01, 2021

Know when to walk away

 


It's May and the pressure is building.

Today I was struck with how I needed to be comfortable with the equipment that would officially be put to use on Z93 on May 11. So it was time to see what I had here. I needed to know what would work and what might not.

Behind the scenes, it's far more than just flipping a switch and starting to talk.

The internet needs to work.

The computer needs to be charged.

The cables need to be functional.

The mixer needs to produce a good sound.

And I need to talk and keep the sound levels appropriate.

In the studio, a board operator needs to keep us on the air. Plus they need to be in contact with me.

I need to get us to commercial breaks after the innings and during pitching breaks.

Oh yeah, and I also need to describe the action, keep an accurate scorecard, watch for any changes, keep an eye out for anyone warming up in the bullpen, take note of the crowd, look for defensive alignments, glance at scores online along with any news of interest, look up statistics and stories, do any necessary spot or promotional reads, entertain any interruptions, and adjust to literally anything else.

No big deal and I've done it for years but technical issues can be the proverbial nasty curveball that throws the whole thing off balance.

So it's important to review the equipment.

All of the equipment. 

I looked at multiple mixers, examined how many microphone inputs would be needed, along with other variables.

And, oh, should I get a new MacBook since a reliable computer will be necessary? What else will I need? 

I looked at things today and, eventually, overwhelmed myself.

It was then that I did what I've always told Sean when he'd get mad at whatever game he was playing.

Take a break.

So I did.

Eventually, this led me to mow the entire lawn for the first time in 2021.

Ouch.

While my exceedingly out-of-shape body might eventually appreciate the effort, I still heard my back screaming and my feet crying as I walked each step.

Did this stop me from thinking? Well, no, not really, but sort of. I listened to the Yankees game as I pondered the equipment combinations.

Still, I convinced myself there were other variables at the ballpark, which I will go to on Tuesday to test everything out.

Patience. Answers are coming.

Walk away and come back to it later on.

Things are clearer after that.

No comments: