Sunday, May 09, 2021

So...about yesterday

 

I think I know what I'm wearing on Tuesday

I wanted to elaborate on the post from yesterday.

I received many responses to what happened in Norwich. Some said I should complain to whatever governing body that I can reach out to.

If you didn't know, I called a doubleheader between Brunswick and St Thomas More at Dodd Stadium -- the home of the Norwich Sea Unicorns who, up until last year, played in the NY-Penn League. In other words, they played the Renegades.

When Wayne McGillicuddy or Brunswick and I asked to go in the press box, we were denied for reasons unknown. This was no small high school press box, to be clear. I know -- from experience -- that there are at least two private radio booths. Those went unused.

I'm bringing this up again because I wanted it clear that we do what we need to do. While I wanted to complain and express my displeasure, I bit my tongue and walked away with my tail between my legs.

I set up near where Wayne placed the camera, in front of the press box in question. The Sea Unicorns staff plugged our extension cord into the press box.

Knowing that it was a day with questionable weather, I wisely went and grabbed a brand new tarp out of my car. I also had a few jackets that I could use to cover things up.

Was it ideal? No. Not at all. But we do what we have to do. Pitching a fit or asking someone to build me my own press box or whatever is not the answer. 

Oh, I get those who were outraged. In truth, I appreciate that. If the reason for denying the request was COVID protocols, well, OK I guess.

But, honestly, none of it made sense. 

Another truth was that we were inside of an hour from first pitch so arguing would only waste time. 

So I felt the best thing to do was to follow the lead of Brunswick -- whom I'm there representing as an impartial broadcaster. Honestly, they had games to play and try to win. I needed to be the very last of the concerns.

Overall, it was funny, and I made appropriate fun of it while not trying to mock or criticize anyone. My only angst occurred when rain became an issue. Then it was still funny.

Soon, it wasn't as funny. At that point it was my computer and mixer and other equipment that I worried about. Nobody was going to reimburse me for that getting damaged.

In the end, it's just another story to tell.

In the end, I'm a better broadcaster for not letting it bother me, mostly laughing it off, and remaining appropriately dedicated to the task at hand. I'm not saying it's the best approach but I see too much entitlement. I'm better because stuff happens and I do what I can to just keep going.

We're important in what we do but we're not a priority. You can hope we're treated with respect but that's just not always the way

*****

Of course, it's Mother's Day, and I'm certainly thinking of my own mother, given this is the first year we're without her. Her name was recently added to the headstone with my dad. I'd like to get there before Tuesday night at 7 but it's OK if I don't.

To keep our minds off of it, Sean and I both spent a large chunk of the day at Dutchess Stadium.

I helped run Rick Zolzer's sports talk show on Z93 and also appeared as a guest, while Sean trained to become a camera operator.

I also found that there might be a desk I can use if I don't want to sit in the booth. While I was there, I also got to look at the broadcasting equipment that was just sitting around doing nothing. Why, yes, I'd be thrilled to take the two headsets and use them on the broadcasts, thanks so much.

I'll be back there tomorrow.

Then it's Tuesday.

Is this real? 

I guess we're going to find out.

No comments: