Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Just tired (Pre-Kluber)


 

(I wrote this before Corey Kluber did what he did tonight and there's not enough time to start over so we'll go with this.)

I've hit another one of those ruts.

Maybe I'm just too tired tonight.

I don't know.

I did The Clubhouse and we had great guests on in Steve Gliner of the Renegades and Tom Laidlaw, the one-time New York Rangers player who is a really well-rounded guy. Both great interviews.

I'm watching the Gades and, well, there's always tomorrow.

I popped on another broadcaster to get a real sense of their work. I will offer no analysis except to say using "we" as a play-by-play announcer is, to me, almost fatal. I don't like it, as in, "We just scored a run," or, "That will bring in another run for us."

I realize there are moments where I am part of the organization and yet I still find that I'm always careful in my use of the term. But, in the game? No. Not at all.

"We" didn't score the run or hit the ball or make the catch. The Renegades did. The IronBirds did. "They" did.

I don't play for the team -- Greenwich, Brunswick, Mahopac, Hudson Valley, Fairfield Prep. I'm lucky to have a small piece of involvement.

My game plan for tomorrow has changed. I was supposed to call Brewster at Mahopac baseball but Local Live needs me for basketball -- yes, really -- at Stepinac in White Plains. I'm going to call St. Joseph-by-the-Sea and Cristo Rey. The Vikings of Sea requested a voice and they're getting me.

This isn't my first time calling a Sea game. I called their visit to St. Peter (aka "St. Peetahs") when the two tangled back in 2014.

They're from Staten Island. I know someone from Staten Island. Thus, they're "Peetahs." Lovingly, of course.

I'll see Mahopac for softball next week. I'll also see Brunswick for baseball and lacrosse this weekend.

Wait. I already wrote all of this, didn't I?

The days start blending together.

I could describe the Hot Pocket I just had for dinner.

*****

OK, so Corey Kluber just pitched the 12th no-hitter (World Series included) in Yankees history. I don't have words. I'm actually in shock.

No comments: